Can I put royal purple engine oil in my gearbox?

bigtizzles

Ok, I know there is alot of opinions on this subject so I wanna keep this simple. I just wanna know if I can put good old 10w30 royal purple synthetic motor oil in my banshee transmission. I wanna make sure its not gonna destroy anything. Some people said you can put just about anything in there, others say use ATF. The manual says SAE 10w30? I know it might not be the best thing, but will it work??

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, I won't use it. I saw some other guy say he used 10w40 royal purple. What should I use that I can pick up from the auto parts store? There is no atv dealer for like 20 miles. I like using lemonade as antifreeze cause I figure its the same as using water and if you run out of shit to drink when your out riding you can........yeah.

hmmmm.use the cheapest 10-30 u can.if u change it every 3 rides like u should ull be great.i love how people spend $15 on a qt. of special gear lube.ive never had a shifting/trans issue EVER and i use cheap valvoline/pennzoil/autozone/bp whatever.save ur cash.if i had probs i would think different but until i do,well, u know.

The other alternative to changing the oil constantly and buying cheap oil would be to run a high quality synthetic like amsoil severe gear 75w90.

I just drain it into a clean container through a filter to clean out any metal shavings or contaminants and reuse the oil. Since it is so durable it will practically never break down and loose its lubricating properties in a banshee trans.

lol been wondering that myself.proof or gtfo :shrugani:

go to a auto parts store and look at the backs of all the "30s" and the say energy conserving meaning they have friction modifiers in them, now go look at every other bottle and they dont say that

this is unless the "30" ones say they dont but in this case hes talking about basic engine oil which most of them are energy conserving

here...

"Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut. These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle."

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html#Oil

guess we learn something new everyday. I havent run conventional oil in anything for along time now so i never paid attention.

I hate changing oil in my car so i stick synthetic in it and change it when it gets dirty or once a year which is usually after i bring it out of storage when i get home from harvest.

as for your banshee, even auto parts stores sell atv oil for wet clutches now. no reason to use something else.