put it in gear and the quad dies or goes

scuba147

My cousin is out of town working and brought the quad with and he said hes having clutch issues--he said it will ludge or die when put it gear--first or second gear--if he gets it going and comes to a stop and its in gear with the clutch lever pulled it will die---I told him probably needs adjusting--he said the ball is not welded and he can see the clutch plate move when he pulls the clutch??? Hes taken it apart and readjusted it according to the yamaha book and clymer manual and still does the same thing--- its a 97 that has original clutch in it but he got it 2 years ago in new condition. He rode it a dozen times and put a over hundred miles on it in June--started acting up on that trip. Any suggestions would be great--I think maybe a bad cable or its not adjusted correctly. He is going to tear into it again this weekend. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Cousin just installed new clutch with a new cable--he's tried adjusting it every which way-same issue--no clutch and bike keeps moving w/clutch held--could it be something in the trans maybe-goes thourgh the gears ok but no clutch--he says when he adjusted it everytime he can see the plate move, etc...--He's bringing it home in a few weeks and will see whats up. any thoughts

he has adjusted the screw both ways in and out--has the arrows lining up on the case etc... he has ran out of ideas :confused: but we will look at it in a few weeks--just seeing if he missing something etc.. Any other ideas besides adjustment---thanks again for your suggestions------only makes sense its not adjusted but Im not there to verify---I will tell him try again---he knows it not rocket science but can't get it.

I just bought a used banshee off of a guy that was doing the same thing you are describing... turned out that the clutch basket/primary driven gear/kicker gear brass bushing was seized to the spacer that rides on the main transmission axle and had seized to the transmission axle too. I removed my clutch pack and it still acted like the clutch was disengaged and then i tried to remove the clutch basked then the real fun began about 3.5 hrs later with a pen router and i had it all apart with a clean trans input shaft so i didn't have to split the cases. so if i was you i would pull the pressure plate and the clutch pack and see if it still acts like the clutch is disengaged if not may be you are lucky either way you can inspect everything for wear while you are in there. Im new to the whole banshee thing but this is what happened to me hopefully it helps you.

Edited by nihilism