are mods necessary for ice racing?

hey guys im building a banshee right now for trail riding but i also bought a lowering kit for it so i can ice race it its alll stock is it really necessary to mod it all out? how do you guys think it would do stock? id like to pipe it eventually buy dont know what pipes to get

Never been in the ice with any quad but I would assume it would be worth to atleast get pipes for it.....

I hear Toomey T6's are good for non ported cylinders. They are a low-mid pipe (from what i hear)

I have had only experience with T5's and I like them but I eventually plan on having work done to my cylinders...

But im still new to banshees so this is my opinion :shrugani:

I, personally, bought the T5s because I heard that they were better pipes than the T6s. I bought my banshee and within the week, I bought pipes, filters, and reeds. You may think that you want to leave it stock but, I think when you get on the ice and are racing some 450s, you will want it faster. Just my $ .02.

i would say u would at leased want pipes on it man mine has t6 pipes and on my bike all i have is 30 over boyseen reeds and lid of airbox and clean up port and for what is done my banshees pulls pretty good and the t6s i have aint much low end but alot of mid and it pulls all the way up top so just a suggestion procirget is a good lowend pipe i have heard to or even some fmf fattys

First thing I used to do when the lakes would freeze over with my LT250R is put my holeshots with studs in them. Instant hookage. Then flip the tires for some added width. You can also run the air filter rite off the carb/s and rejet. I never took it off my property or to far from it and race it if I did I would have sunk some money into it.

Banshee Studded Holeshots/ Wider front and rear/ and all of the boltons plus a port job for ice. Diffrent gearing depending on power and tire size too.

hey guys im building a banshee right now for trail riding but i also bought a lowering kit for it so i can ice race it its alll stock is it really necessary to mod it all out? how do you guys think it would do stock? id like to pipe it eventually buy dont know what pipes to get

you have plenty of motor for ice racing stock! you need a swing arm 2 to 3 inches shorter than stock to get it to hookup on the ice.

my ported blaster would run circle around my shee on ice.

I have been on ice, but not racing. My friend had a clean-up ported RZ350 motor in his bike and was pushing 59HPs and 55Nm of torque. He smoked all modded 450´s and a modded Renegade. Only thing that could get even was a 525 KTM Dirt bike. Lowered and wider Banshee with a good set of tires makes it a beast on ice.

Get a set of used pipes, you will need more RPM´s than what stock pipes can give you.

I personally hate the stock Mikunis in winter time. They jammed all the time. Now I have 35.5PWK´s.

Get a set of good tires and maybe +2" spacers for rear wheels. Flip the fronts over.

Do a timing plate mod to +3 or +4.

Get a set of reeds. Boyesen Pro duals or something like that and port the stock reed cages

Get your head milled a little.

Keep your eyes open for a used -1 or -2 swinger.

Don´t use oil in your air filter, when doing ice-racing, and make sure you are not running lean up top.

We use this "alcohol based" anti-freeze....thing in our gas in winter time 0.5 to 1%, I think you know what I mean...

My other friend had a 47hp bolt on Banshee with a minor port work done. He was using 20" rears with 250 ice studs in each rear tire. 15-40 gearing was good for him.

I have 22" Maxxis RazrII´s with 250 studs and I used 13-42 gearing with them. Now I have more power and longer swinger so I´m going to use 14-41 (stock) with them next winter.

Max speed what I have done in the ice was 55 to 57 mph, so there was no long pulls.

-Pasi S.

those tr6's are going to be nice for you, if you are going to keep it stock motor(planned, or not) but if you get the bug, you are going to have to choose between pro-circuits, or rockets, imho. rockets are raeal nice power, but you would not belive how well pro-circuits come on early and give you that nice bit off the bottom that you never knew you could use and stopm the competition. it comes down to your feel, and how you tend to, or are comfortable using the power you have on tap. if you have the 4-stroke tendencies to fall back on a little lower, then you need pc's, if you are constantly instinctive to rev the piss out of it when you need power, you might need rockets, not to say they are just rev pipes, but they will lack in the bottom torque where pc's will back you up no problem. it's a whole other style of riding, imo

i dont think i will have to widen it the lowering kit i have widens the front up to 2 inches out so im good there anybody have experience with fmf fatties? what kind of reeds do you recommend im thinking v force reeds...and theres a bay a quarter mile down the road from my house on lake michigan and racing doesnt start till january so im planning on plowing a track out there and practicing every day after school until racing starts

i dont think i need wheel spaces im pretty sure u cant go over like 60 inches wide and they lowering kit widens it out a little bit i think if i just put the pro circuits on it i will do pretty good but next year i will definently have v force reeds and stuff...im only running against 400exs and stuff and i smoke them with my bike and its stock...idk this will be my first winter ice racing and like i said i have a lake to plow a practice track on and plan on practicing every day after school so im hoping to try and make a name for myself