Running on one cylinder

get a different compression tester ive had a motor that is running good and last checked had 145psi and the other compression tester only read 40 got a new tester and it read 145 again

Well the tester i''m using is brand new. bought it for this machine and i've only used it about ten times. I meant when the last time i checked the compression was before it quit running on one cylinder once it started acting up i got the low reading.

I had a similar experience with mine, but mine would idle fine. But at soon as I rev up the engine, only one cylinder would accelerate/fire. Come to find out, the retainer clip that holds the slider needle on the right carb had come off, so even though the slide would move up/down the needle would just stay in its idle/down position, thus starving the right cylinder. I also did a compression test on mine and I had 120psi on both cylinders. Hope is nothing serious.

needles and slides all come up as everything in them is new and I have already been through the carbs since this problem. But thanks i hope nothing is serious, a top end rebuild wouldn't be too bad....

• 3 months later...

Well been a long time but finally got some time to take a look at the shee. Re-did compression test on both cylinders and got:

Left side - 70psi

right side - 15-20 psi

Went ahead and tore into it and didn't see any problems with the headgasket where it might have blown, but then I noticed a decent size burr on the right piston. Looked like someone took at hammer to the edge of it. got a mirror and then saw the carnage through the exhaust port. Here's pics of what I found when I removed the jugs.

2564054410105523997S600x600Q85.jpg

2592829620105523997S600x600Q85.jpg

So i'm thinking that the exhaust port needs to be re-chamfered? and then new pistons and rings? and def hone on both cylinders as i dont feel hardly and scratches or gashes that would be cause for boring? I have a list of things that i'm going to replace during the install but as for the main engine components does this sound like a good plan?

Ok....you WILL need that bored over. First....the port there is screwed....see the top lip of the port there that looks smashed? That is gonna need boring to get that lip out. AND we can easily see in your picture that above the exhaust port there ARE wear marks in your cylinders...... If you don't want to bore it then fine. But when the pistons that you order for that explode into shrapnel or break the skirts off because the tolerances arent right I'm gonna have to say "I told you so"

Honestly if your going to go through all this damn hassle and not bore it you might as well just give me your money....

It will be an extra 100 to do the job right....or it will be another 300 when the pistons come apart after you put them in without doing the job right.

thought so, ill find out this weekend what the bores measure as I have been told that they have been bored over before by the previous owner but the kid was not very sharp....

Whats the recommendation for a place to have the machine work done? There are alot of site sponsors and I would like one fairly close to northwest ohio to save on shipping.

thought so, ill find out this weekend what the bores measure as I have been told that they have been bored over before by the previous owner but the kid was not very sharp....

Whats the recommendation for a place to have the machine work done? There are alot of site sponsors and I would like one fairly close to northwest ohio to save on shipping.

Hey sootman, i see your from wauseon,,, ever hear of PR racing engines, on tremainsville in toledo? they do the best work around here and i would trust them with my motor anyday. Big lou will b.s. with ya and answer any questions you may have. i think a bore job is 79 bux per cyl dont quote me on it though.... give them a call 419 472 2277 tell them phil sent ya, im definitely not against any site sponsers just personally havent used them yet i seen you were close and would have no shipping and their turn around time is good :cheers:

Shoot, your in wauseon? Im south of camden in Michigan just above the indiana ohio line. I work where we have a machine shop service for engines and I could hook you up with getting those bored and get you new pistons through work because I deal with Parts Unlimited and thats where I buy pistons and gaskets from. Send me a pm if interested

how did it even crank to do the lap around the pond with 70psi in one jug and 20 in the other? or did you pull start it to begin with?

dude i was thinking the same thing, how the hell did it even run with 70 psi on one and 20 on the other? lol. when my top end went out it was at like 90 psi on both and it would barely even run and then died.

Hey sootman, i see your from wauseon,,, ever hear of PR racing engines, on tremainsville in toledo? they do the best work around here and i would trust them with my motor anyday. Big lou will b.s. with ya and answer any questions you may have. i think a bore job is 79 bux per cyl dont quote me on it though.... give them a call 419 472 2277 tell them phil sent ya, im definitely not against any site sponsers just personally havent used them yet i seen you were close and would have no shipping and their turn around time is good :cheers:

Thanks man! I went over there today and talked to Lou. What a guy! He's really helpful and said I was about 4 sizes too small on my main jets by looking at the pistons. plus he's gonna help me get my powerband down lower since I have no bottom end whatsoever. Little more pricey on the machine work but I figure its worth the money to have it done close.

how did it even crank to do the lap around the pond with 70psi in one jug and 20 in the other? or did you pull start it to begin with?

dude i was thinking the same thing, how the hell did it even run with 70 psi on one and 20 on the other? lol. when my top end went out it was at like 90 psi on both and it would barely even run and then died.

I think things turned south about 75% around the pond cuz thats when it stopped running on both cylinders and I had enough rpm to keep er going. but no wonder it wouldn't start after i slowed down and it died.