Tether wiring.

Got a tusk tether in the mail and need to wire it. Its open or closed circuit? Im guessing one end to the black/white wire off the CDI? other one is grounded. Just wanted to clarify.

I searched but couldnt find info on the TUSK tether.

I wired mine directly off the coil.. and then grounded the other end.

You shoudn't wire them up to the orange wire to the ignition coil. Grounding that high voltage wire can damage the CDI.

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/support/dynatek_faq.aspx#610

WARNING: Installation of a grounded tether kill switch to the ignition coil signal will damage the ignition.

Edited by jbooker82

You shoudn't wire them up to the orange wire to the ignition coil. Grounding that high voltage wire can damage the CDI.

http://www.dynaonlin...ek_faq.aspx#610

I dont use a Dyna ignition. I didn't see any where in his mods that he was using one either.

Its a installation suggestion for their CDI's. Dyna also says " Consult your individual instruction manual for specific wiring instructions." I've also heard of the dyna box having problems when placed near the coil but a OEM CDI has no issues. This leads me to believe that its a problem with the way that their boxes are built.

I've been installing them for years with no issues on other models as well as banshee's. I've had lots of tethers come with instructions that said to wire it the coil.. Others gave no instructions. I install all of my tethers to the coil unless the CDI manufacturer or its a model specific tether that states other wise. I use a YZ style push kill button along with my tether for over 10yrs and have yet to change my cdi... Just sayin.

http://yamahaatvethe...l.blogspot.com/

http://www.magicraci...nstallation.pdf (I know this is not a banshee.. but it shows other models are wired to the coil as well which Dyna says not to do)

I wouldn"t ground the orange wire, but, if you look at the wire diagram all switches are N O , and go to ground to kill engine.

I think what the big differnce is.. is that CDI ramps up the spark energy after the CDI where a OEM CDI isn't as hi. The Dyna must not have proper internal protection against a surge. I've installed Vortex and GYTR boxes with tethers off the coil.. Whats funny is the GYTR box is just a non porgramable dyna.. shrug03.gif

One problem I found with the GYTR is that even with the key switch off... the bike would still start. It'd run like poo.. but it would still start.

I just figure if it is hard on a CDI it is hard on a CDI doesnt matter what brand it is. The black with white stripe wire is designed to shut the motor off. That is its purpose and how I would hook it up.

X2 on this. It is much better to short out a low energy wire than a high energy wire, orange is high energy and the black/white wire is low energy. Yamaha put the black/white wire there to turn the bike off, so why not use it?

Its a safety issue. The reason is.. That the b/w wire needs to be grounded to kill the motor.. the motor will run if the wire gets cut or breaks. if that happens your tether will not work.depending on where the break is. Say you get into a crash and that wire that the tether is hooked to gets cut somehow.. your motor wont stop. I think if you crash.. your cdi shorting out is the least of your worries.. lol

Yamaha didn't put the b/w wire on there to kill the motor.. its there for the TORS and the kill is secondary. the key switch is considered the main kill.

The key switch is a normally closed circuit while the other is a normally open circuit. We splice the key switch wires together to bypass the key. The key opens (breaks) the circuit in the off position to kill the motor.

Wiring off the coil is the safest and is how we are instructed to install them at the dealer.

My YZ push kill is wired to the b/w wire while my tether is wired to coil.. Safest setup in my opinion..