banshee 40 over and reliability question?

ok im looking for a banshee that i will be making into trail shee. i see banshees that are bored 40 over and so on around my area and i have been told that if u bore it it will go faster and i have herd that thats not true. but im new to banshees and two strokes for that matter so i don't want a super fast bike to start with. i would just like some info on boring and sleeves any info would be greatly appreciated. i want a reliable as possible banshee to start with. i have always herd that close to stock is the most reliable but idk :shrugani: thanks guys.

okay....so... going in incremints of .010 bore jobs you can squeeze 8 bores out of them without problems.....that is if you only go .010 per bore. A banshee that is bore out to .040 (40 over) is not going to be faster....the pistons are .040 inches wider in diameter.....nothing major. hell you would BARELY be able to compare them side by side to and see a difference. just because a 2-stroke has been rebuilt or bored out to .040 does not mean it is or is not reliable. what determines the factor in how the guy assembled it. if they just threw it together then who knows how long it will last. if the guy was a FREAK about tolerences and took his time and knew what he was doing, then it should last.

okay....so... going in incremints of .010 bore jobs you can squeeze 8 bores out of them without problems.....that is if you only go .010 per bore. A banshee that is bore out to .040 (40 over) is not going to be faster....the pistons are .040 inches wider in diameter.....nothing major. hell you would BARELY be able to compare them side by side to and see a difference. just because a 2-stroke has been rebuilt or bored out to .040 does not mean it is or is not reliable. what determines the factor in how the guy assembled it. if they just threw it together then who knows how long it will last. if the guy was a FREAK about tolerences and took his time and knew what he was doing, then it should last.

x2. 0.040" is equal tio 1 mm. So you went from a stock size bore of 64mm to 65mm. The bore sizes has nothing to dowith reliability. You don't gain performance unles you over bore a large amount or change the crank to increase the stroke thus increase displacement. Over boring is mostly done on bigger engines like cars and trucks. Even in the 4 stroke market, they don't over bore a large amount, they purchase larger cylinders.

Reliability comes from proper care and maintenence.

SP

x2. 0.040" is equal tio 1 mm. So you went from a stock size bore of 64mm to 65mm. The bore sizes has nothing to dowith reliability. You don't gain performance unles you over bore a large amount or change the crank to increase the stroke thus increase displacement. Over boring is mostly done on bigger engines like cars and trucks. Even in the 4 stroke market, they don't over bore a large amount, they purchase larger cylinders.

Reliability comes from proper care and maintenence.

SP

ok thanks that was a big help so when i go get a bike should i pull apart the top end to see what it looks like and i plan of using a presser tester on the bike before i buy? sorry for all the noob questions just trying to learn :notworthy:

People who have no clue what they are talking about think a .020 or .080 is a "BIG BORE" which it honestly is NOT thats just a rebuild. You see it all the time with people selling bikes on craigslist. It will not be any faster unless theres other changes. If you buy a bike thats rebuilt I would see no reason to take the topend off to look at it. If it runs well and has compression at the kick starter then ride and enjoy. If its a recent rebuild with no time on it you may ask what caused the failure. Was it lean jetting, detonation or something of that nature that may cause you problems as soon as you buy it. If you were buying a drag bike with a cub or cheetah I would definately recommend taking the head off to inspect the bore or domes just as a precaution. .

most 4 strokes when going to a bigger bore need cylinders due to the already thin walls inside a modern 4 stroke motor. kinda like a cub there is only so far you can go before there is just nothing left/.

the lower the bore on stock cylinders with OEM sleeves the less chance of a sleeve crack. i have seen cracks start at around 65.5mm boer and mostly up around 66mm there is just not enough support in there..

reliability of any atv is nearly always due to good maintenance.

most 4 strokes when going to a bigger bore need cylinders due to the already thin walls inside a modern 4 stroke motor. kinda like a cub there is only so far you can go before there is just nothing left/.

the lower the bore on stock cylinders with OEM sleeves the less chance of a sleeve crack. i have seen cracks start at around 65.5mm boer and mostly up around 66mm there is just not enough support in there..

reliability of any atv is nearly always due to good maintenance.

ok i got another question. ok if i have a banshee with .040 over and i rebuild how many rebuilds do i have left on it and can u resleeve back to stock bore? or is there suck a thing and is it worth it or just buy new cylinders? thanks again this stuff fascinates me

ok i got another question. ok if i have a banshee with .040 over and i rebuild how many rebuilds do i have left on it and can u resleeve back to stock bore? or is there suck a thing and is it worth it or just buy new cylinders? thanks again this stuff fascinates me

alright....so depending on what happens causing you to need a rebuild depends how many bores you have left. IF you just ride it and maintain it and it just needs a rebuild because its worn out.....then you can bore in .010 increments all the way up to .080 (some will say you can bore up to a full .100 but don't do it.....the walls are too thin then) so you in THEORY if everything goes good......have 4 more rebuilds left. Now if you need a rebuild and you continue riding on it or you put in crap pistons that break or fold a ring over because of neglegence when you assemble then the machine shop will need to bore more out to get hte scratches out.

you CAN resleeve banshee cylinders......however its not really super cost effective.....remember....you've got 2 cylinders to sleeve. Most people on here will just buy new cylinders....