CASE BOLT STRIPPED

i was putting my case back together and realized that hole number 15 is stripped, i've heard of a few things i could do to fix it, the best being probably drill out to the next size, or use a helicoil, what's your ideas?

I would Heli-Coil it, there may not be enough meat there to adequately support the next size bigger bolt. If it is helicoiled, it will still use a stock bolt and the same size wrench as the other bolts. It is not hard to do and done right it will be stronger than the original hole because the bolt threads will now be turning in steel instead of aluminum.

i drilled it out and put the helicoil in, the bolt threads in and out without pulling the coil out, i'm gonna put the cases together and torque the bolts soon, i'm pretty confident it'll be good

Actually, especially for the cases, I would steer clear of a helicoil for thread repair. They are ok in a pinch but they are the most inadeguate thread repair components out there. If there is enough meat around the original hole to drill it out for a Keen Sert that is what I would use. It is a solid insert instead of just a *spring*. Anouther nice thing about them is the outside thread is also a common metric size so there is no need for a special tap. They come in diferent styles. The one I like has tabs at the top that you drive in flush after it is installed and it prevents the insert from coming back out.

We use these in manufacturing aluminum parts were threaded holes are needed for frequently removed items.

SP