Banshee top end missfire

Hi Guys

I have spent the last 7 weekends trying to cure a top end missfire on my 1994 banshee. Things we have tried so far are - new Coil ,New plug caps, new pick up coil, Stator tested, carbs overhalled, New plugs, air filter on and off , and a compression test .

It starts ok and if you blip the throttle the engine sound fine but when you ride it and open it up it misfires coughs and runs on one cylinder. This is not one sided either.

I live in the uk and banshees are becoming a rare thing as the 'others' change over to 4 strokes. This means nobody can lend me parts to try and solves the problem.

Has anybody gone through this nightmare before and found the answer ?

Welcome to the HQ !! :cheers: Check that all grounds are clean and tight. Same with all connections and switches. Presume new wires with coil?

List up all your mods and settings (pipes, filter,jetting, etc) How do plugs look?

On my son's shee I had to clean rust off poles on stator, inside of flywheel, and lugs on outside of flywheel, set pick-up gap, to get rid of one cyl miss. :cheers:

Welcome to the HQ !! :cheers: Check that all grounds are clean and tight. Same with all connections and switches. Presume new wires with coil?

List up all your mods and settings (pipes, filter,jetting, etc) How do plugs look?

On my son's shee I had to clean rust off poles on stator, inside of flywheel, and lugs on outside of flywheel, set pick-up gap, to get rid of one cyl miss. :cheers:

Hi,running pro circuits with a jet kit std filter apart from that its std. I have cleaned the flywheel it was rusty as hell ! The pick up was very rusty so we thought that was the problem. It was running fine before this started. I had tried a single coil running one side only and we through that was the answer because it seem to be a lot better but new coil fitted and same problem. If i went with gut feel I think it gets a very poor spark at times. It can be very hard to start but then goes second kick time after time. If you pull the plugs they are ok, perhaps a bit darker than is best if its just sat on the drive with me testing it. But if youi go for a ride going they look good.

yes there's not much choice in the UKk !!

But is the pickup coil stock? It says you have put a new one on. Yamaha doesn't sell them seperatly. If it is an aftermarket one I would ditch it. I think with the junk stators that cause top end running issues, it is the pickup coil that is actually doing it. There isn't to many people who will cut up a good OEM oem stator and put Yamaha mada pickup coil on a junk Ricky Stator. Rightfully so I wouldn't do it ethire.

Edited by jbooker82

Are your plug wires new? Maybe check your wiring harness for bare/ frayed/ broken wires. Is it the same cylinder that misfires? Is your tors removed?

Its not the same cylinder, seems to go from one side to the other. Tors is off and the whole coil is new including the caps. A for the pickup it was brand new fom a company that I have used before and they are very good at after market parts. The problem is the same now as before I changed the pickup so I think the problem lies else where. CDI maybe ??