coolant in oil? metal shavings(pic), overheating, broken clutch

Hey guys new to the forum, bought a 87 shee. with newer top and bottom end. Its my first quad, but im no stranger to bikes and smokers. So after i bought it i changed the oil because the previous owner said it sat for a while. first thing i noticed was there was quite a bit of metal shavings in the oil, so im like "great thats bad, but what am i gonna do" so i ride it. put a few hours on it, adjust the pilot screws a pinch and this thing rips, previous owner board .40 over and has k&n, and toomy's and this thing flat out flys, way more hp than the clapped out original suspension can handle(but thats another project.) and way after a few rides i noticed i was puking coolant, and i assume it was boiling over because i had to add a few cups of coolant after every ride. So i check the water pump and it looks brand new. So i change the oil again and more metal flakes(see pic below) Now i cant telll 100% if theres coolant in the oil but its def a lot thinner and looks watered down, so i pretty sure there coolant in there.Prob not a lot but enough. So i pull the clutch cover and low and behold its eaten 2 clutch disks. Theres still held in the basket so luckely they didnt do any damage to any of the gears. So im hoping thats were the metal shavings from. anyways so heres the prob. The o-ring and the tube that goes in the backside looked fine and after taking apart the water pump that seal looked fine as well, and the pump shaft is smooth. So i order new seals and a clutch and hoping thats it. Is there any other spot were coolant can get in the oil? anything else i should be looking for. thanks guys

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i455/mightydubkatz/IMG_8559.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i455/mightydubkatz/IMG_8558.jpg

Disregard the red dirt in the oil thats from the pan.

Edited by dubkatz

Sounds like your on the right track. As for the coolant,i have had head gaskets leak and still run ok.

Start it with the rad cap off,and see how much the coolant is moving when you rev it. If its really bad,like spraying out,your head gasket is blown. You should be able to see it flow pretty good with the cap off though.

Remember that it will not stay completely full,they will stay just below the fill neck,maybe 1/4 or more below.

If i fill mine all the way,it will spit out coolant till its at the right level.

Give it a reall good ride and check around the head as well on the outside,make sure it isnt seeping out.

Edited by Burt Reynolds

Water pump seal is a common place to leak coolant into the tranny. Some of the aftermarket impellers are made with a shaft that is really soft and the seal can groove the shaft to the point that it leaks.

SP

yea im going to use the plastic one thats in there. It looks brand new and the shaft is perfect. and Burt thanks for the info regarding coolant level, good to know. Ill update the post when i get the parts in and take it for a ride.

yea im going to use the plastic one thats in there. It looks brand new and the shaft is perfect. and Burt thanks for the info regarding coolant level, good to know. Ill update the post when i get the parts in and take it for a ride.

When you got the clutch cover off look at the colant hose that goes into the clutch case to the water pump.There is an origin on the end of the hose,Ive seen those orings leak aswell.

use a good r-1 clutch or drivelien clutch. hope you didnt order an OEM clutch..

replace the seal and the o-ring either lube the o-ring with vaseline or light grease or yamabond the hole. ( i usually yama the whole thing to make sure it seals

make sure the gear and all the drive parts are ok. if the shavings were bad enough to damage the water pump seal they probably tore the crank seal on the transmission side. i would consider replaceing it and splitting the cases to clean everythign out of the bottom end.. if the motor makes enough power you may even consider replaceing the basket with a MATTOON billet basket.

Sounds like your on the right track. As for the coolant,i have had head gaskets leak and still run ok.

Start it with the rad cap off,and see how much the coolant is moving when you rev it. If its really bad,like spraying out,your head gasket is blown. You should be able to see it flow pretty good with the cap off though.

Remember that it will not stay completely full,they will stay just below the fill neck,maybe 1/4 or more below.

If i fill mine all the way,it will spit out coolant till its at the right level.

Give it a reall good ride and check around the head as well on the outside,make sure it isnt seeping out.

this is why they have a resy tank on them.. if you dont have a tank the expanded coolant has nowhere to go so you have to drop your level in the rad to compensate..