twist throttle opinions

looking for opinions on twist throttle, i have never riddin a quad with one, but i am leaning toward getting one because my thumb fells like it is going to fall off after a very short time, what are the pros and cons

It is 100 percent rider preference. I used to think if you learned to ride on a motorcycle like I did you would prefer a twist and if you learned to ride on an ATV then you would prefer a thmb throttle. But there are several guys on here that ride both and prefer a thumb throttle on their ATV. Alot of it depends on your riding style and arm strength. Some people roll their wrist when riding whoops and that results in grabbing a handful of throttle with a twist. All that being said, when I put a twist on my daughter's Blaster( she was 12 at the time and had only ridden with a thumb to that point), she went from having to stop every 10 minutes to riding for an hour with out stopping and she has not had a problem in the 10+ years since. My wife and I both prefer a twist(we ride dunes) but there will be plenty of people on here that will say don't do it. All you can do is try it and see if it works for you, if it doesn't you can change it back.

Edited by bansheesandrider

I ride a dirt bike a bit but hated the twist that I have on one of my quads. I'm getting used to it now but still prefer the thumb. When I climb steep stuff I really use the handlebars to hang on and position myself and with a twist it just isn't possible.

it totally is all about how comfortable you are with it. alot of people don't care for it because (like earlier) on alot of quads people tend to roll on their wrist in the whoops. The other reason is that twist grips have been known to put people into the trees on trails because of 2 possible reasons.....the first reason is because of installation error.. when the new throttle cable is installed, some don't check to see if they have enough cable slack and the first turn they roll into on the trails tightens that cable and away the bike runs with you on it. The other reason is because of the twist......a twist on a dirt bike is breat because you lean with the bike....so your wrist stays level with the bars (for the most part). on an atv if you go into a turn hot, your hiking your ass off the side or at least leaning like a freak.....but the quad is still on all 4 which means that you have to cock your wrist to the side in order to stay on the throttle. Well....if you have your wrist cocked hard and your on the throttle with a twist.....some have had issues with getting their wrist straight enough to back off the twist BEFORE they launched themselves into the trees. Almost watched it happen over memeorial day weekend...

i am the same way. i started out ride'in dirtbikes and thought it would be a great idea to put one on my quad. absolutely not! were i ride its alot of whoops and big hills.

like stated above you have to hold on to bars and your wrist naturally twist the throttle. your ability to hold on is not like that on a bike. i think it dangerous. i let me buddy ride it once and he flipped it off the side of a hill because he lost control due to twist throttle. i took it off n went back to thumb

how can i make the thumb throttle easier, i have 34mm pj carbs, my thumb kills me after 10 min., i can go out on my raptor all day with no issues because the thumb throttle is like butter

You can get lighter springs for your PJ's. I think Jeff at F.A.S.T sells them. I also have PJ's on one of mine and I know exactly how you feel.

how can i make the thumb throttle easier, i have 34mm pj carbs, my thumb kills me after 10 min., i can go out on my raptor all day with no issues because the thumb throttle is like butter

Cut a couple of coils off of the springs. Everyone does this. No need to buy special springs ;) .

SP

• 5 months later...

If i could put a Twist throttle on the lawn Mower i would! Jk

I just installed a Vito's twist on my shee and that thing is sooo cheap!

Plastic crap!

Anybody knows where i can get the best 1/4 twist on the market?

Even if it is 200$ i want it,

I want something as smooth as my CR500 or my Duke throttle!