Coolhead leaks

Ok, I just got my 4mill together and started it up for a few seconds, ran great. As soon as I put coolant in and started it up again it started leaking out in the middle of the cylinders at the bottom of the head. So I figured I pinched an oring, took it apart and put new orings in. But same thing, still leaks. I had powder coated them so I figured they warped, ran a stright edge across and couldn't get any feeler gaugesto slide under at all. Now im stumped :confused: I wanna coat the orings with rtv but in the back of my mind know thats a stupid ass idea. Anyone got a clue about this? Yes i tourqed it, and yes my studs are screwed all the way down.

Ok, I just got my 4mill together and started it up for a few seconds, ran great. As soon as I put coolant in and started it up again it started leaking out in the middle of the cylinders at the bottom of the head. So I figured I pinched an oring, took it apart and put new orings in. But same thing, still leaks. I had powder coated them so I figured they warped, ran a stright edge across and couldn't get any feeler gaugesto slide under at all. Now im stumped :confused: I wanna coat the orings with rtv but in the back of my mind know thats a stupid ass idea. Anyone got a clue about this? Yes i tourqed it, and yes my studs are screwed all the way down.

When I put my motor together I had the same prob!!!! I had to put 3 sets of rings in before it stopppped leaking I couldn't tell you why my cylinders was powder coated and it was like you said straight as could be !!!! But heres a tip use vasoline to hold the o rings in place!!!!!!! :(

Edited by man27

head gouged? sure its coming from the head and not the lower cyl seals.

no my head is not "gouged", and I can sit there and watch it seap out from the top of the cyls. I got one more set of orings I guess ill give it another try tommorow.

Did you retorque after a few heat cycles? Any time I install a cool head I torque everything to 20 ftlbs and then after a few heat cycles re-torque to 22 ftlbs and leak should be solved

when you put the bottom section on the studs need to have a non threaded area that the o-rings sit on the oring cannot seal a thread.. i also grease these small o-rings.. i use an oring that fits very snug on the stud. i have to actually roll them down the stud..

i havent had a cool head ever leak doing that..