tranny oil gushing when doing leak down test

I was doing a leak down test, and in the process, tranny oil starting gushing out this hole on top of my engine, right were the back shock bolts onto the frame. I have pics below to what hole I'm talking about. I loose about 3-4 psi within 6mins. Do I have an internal leak? If so, where is it likely to leak air inside? I heard a keyway could leak, what else?

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x392/s_portrey/Adam/

post-33431-0-19059700-1307139532_thumb.jpg

Edited by acroadam

its your right (clutch side) crank seal,. there not that hard to replace as long as you have some sorta clue on what your doing. just take the clutch out, pressure plate, steels and friction plates, inner hub, basket, then take the crank gear off and youll see the seal, just pry it out with a screw driver without damaging the cases, or you can drill a drywall screw in to it on each side and tighten them slowly with a screw driver and itll back out. this should take 1-2hr make sure you use oem seals always.

you dont have to split the cases.

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!! to do it correctly you have to split the cases because there is a rib on the outside of the seal that fits in a groove in the cases. You can pull the seal out with screws and clean out the rubber from the groove, but there are only 2 ways to get the seal back in- split the cases and do it right, or grind the rib off the new seal and coat it with Yamabond and drive it in. The second method should only be used in an emergency to get through a riding trip.

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!! to do it correctly you have to split the cases because there is a rib on the outside of the seal that fits in a groove in the cases. You can pull the seal out with screws and clean out the rubber from the groove, but there are only 2 ways to get the seal back in- split the cases and do it right, or grind the rib off the new seal and coat it with Yamabond and drive it in. The second method should only be used in an emergency to get through a riding trip.

Yep x2

Probably about 20 nuts, bolts , screws, rubber or dead blow hammer, Clymers manual, yamma bond/ three bond, gaskets, seals. About $20 for crank, $30+ complete set. Clean outside good before you take anything apart. :cheers:

I have everything except yamabond and seals. Is there a chance it could be a keyway leaking?

Keyway on the clutch side? Possible. Usually seal the nut, washer, and keyway when you put those together. If that's all you had leaking, it be a pretty easy fix. Probably a crank seal, but could be the sealer between the cases leaking too. That's not as likely as a crank seal though.

Keyway on the clutch side? Possible. Usually seal the nut, washer, and keyway when you put those together. If that's all you had leaking, it be a pretty easy fix. Probably a crank seal, but could be the sealer between the cases leaking too. That's not as likely as a crank seal though.

Alright..I'm gonna take off my cover, and spray soapy water ,and see what I can find

Alright..I'm gonna take off my cover, and spray soapy water ,and see what I can find

I'm all for shortcuts, but no way in hell would I put a new seal in there without the cases apart.

Yamabond won't fix the seal. It may be leaking around the inside of the seal, which is exposed to the moving crankshaft.

Also, leaking around the key-way usually won't leak bad enough to do what you describe.