trail tech vapor installion

hey guys i bought a trail tech vapor and tonight went to installing it i did the rpm first hooked it up to the coil like it said started it and the rpm was around 4 to 5 grand at idle which i know isnt right why is that is it cause i hooked it right to the coil and its going to both cylinders? and ideass and any comments on how good these things really work?

Have you selected 2 pulses per minute in the setup mode? If I remember right, it comes factory set at 1 (which would mean your actual rpm is 2000-2500rpm and it is reading 4-5000rpm). Check that first.

ooo that could be thats what we were thinking ill do that thanks for the help

Make sure you use resistor plugs with it. I never could get my Vapor to work right on my Banshee, Trail Tech could not even get it to work right. I took my bike to them twice and they ended up giving me a Vector instead- same thing without the tach. I decided it was to hard to read the tach when I was tearing up the dunes and after riding it for 15 years, I probably knew when to shift without a tach.

Allrigigt thanks guys ya we didn't do the wraps likee it said did it the other way it said to connect it to the coil but like he said itts reading twice what it really is and how does the mph and temp work pretty accurete?

No matter how it was hooked up, I had problems with mine. I actually took the bike to Trail Tech's service dept and they tried every method and trick they knew of. In the end they were baffled, I even had the guy that designed the unit working on it, so they gave me a Vector and some other goodies and let me keep the Vapor. Someday when I get time I want to try the Vapor on the wifes bike.

My temp works great and so does the speedo once you get the right number loaded into the unit. I used their base number and checked it with my GPS and had to change once, I got lucky. It is similar to calibrating any other electric speedo.

Allrigigt thanks guys ya we didn't do the wraps likee it said did it the other way it said to connect it to the coil but like he said itts reading twice what it really is and how does the mph and temp work pretty accurete?

The temp reading is the main reason I got mine but who knows how accurate it is. I don't have a good way to test it. Like stated above I calibrated my speedo with a handheld gps.

Hey guys got it all hooked up everything is working good my qustion is sence the banshees don't have a baterry do u guys just use the internal battery it comes with cause I wish when I ride at night I could have the backlight cause

It only stays lit for 3 seconds

I use my vapor mainly for temps too

Hey guys got it all hooked up everything is working good my qustion is sence the banshees don't have a baterry do u guys just use the internal battery it comes with cause I wish when I ride at night I could have the backlight cause

It only stays lit for 3 seconds

I have mine hooked up to the lighing circuit on my banshee. That way the LED back light is always on, and it is brighter than using the internal battery.

what you can also do is just wire the power circuit on the vapor up to 2 9v batteries.....you can get the 9v battery connectors at radio shack for like $2 and it works great.....ran my vapor for almost a year without needing a change of batteries......and that was leaving them plugged in the whole time...