Tapered Bearing to Regular Bearing

Loc

So tore apart my round bearing carrier and found that it is an older RMP carrier with taper bearings. My question is can I press out the old taper bearing and press in new stock bearings without any problems. The diameter of the bearing is the same.

I think it is a better bearing but they are $35 each so $70 for new bearings. I just said to hell with it and bought a new carrier from JJ&A for $100.

So tore apart my round bearing carrier and found that it is an older RMP carrier with taper bearings. My question is can I press out the old taper bearing and press in new stock bearings without any problems. The diameter of the bearing is the same.

Probably not, I think the recess where the bearing sits in the carrier is machined deeper that a stock type carrier because tapered bearings are taller. Therefore the spacer between the bearings will be to long.

So I took it down to the local bearing shop in town and they said the bearings are fine. He cleaned them up regreased them and then installed new seals. So now I have a two carrierers. I guess I will just sell it and run the new one.