Chrome plating

Hey all we are taking the engine out of my sons shee and we are putting some ideas together. My question for the pros is what is the down side to having your frame chromed? We have seen 2 chromed in the past so i it's being done. He rides a few mx races but mostly trail rides. If it's a bad idea should i have it power coated? Thanks

Hell, technically you could have your frame powder coated a chrome color. Which is probably cheaper than actual chroming. What a pita a true CHROME frame would be...

When it chips or gets pitted it rusts. If you bend for flex it will crack the chrome and it will rust. Chrome looks good while it is in good shape but once it pits or cracks it looks worse. Look at all the aftermarket chrome wheels around you. When you see chrome plated steel are they in good shape or do they look like a rusted chrome wheel.

The other down side is cost. That frame will have to be totally striped down, sanded and pollished smooth. The cost in chrome plateing is the prepwork, and there is going to be alot doing a frame.

there was one on ebay about a week ago with chrome frame, looked like he had it sitting in a show room floor its entire life..... was sharp though. i hate to know how much it would cost to do it, i priced a set of a-arms and it was 250.

If you are going to chrome your frame, you need to have it done by someone who is certified to chrome airplane parts. During the chroming procedure there is a reaction process called Hydrogen Embrittlement that occurs, this will make your frame more prone to cracking. Airplane chromers modify their process to reduce this effect from happening, but it does still occur to a lesser degree. It is also ALOT more expensive than regular chrome. Because of this, I would never buy a used frame that has been chromed, you don't know if it was done right. I would recomend finding a powder color that goes with your color scheme or the so called chrome powder.

Edited by bansheesandrider