Plugged rear vent - problem?

I bought this '94 banshee motor recently for a streetbike project. Haven't fired it up yet, been busy working on the rest of the machine. Anyway, in the process of working out the hose routing, I went looking for the rear vent - I'm unfamiliar with Banshees, so didn't know there WAS one until I was looking at hose routing threads on the forums.

What I found, instead of a hose fitting, was a screw stuffed into the vent hole with grey silicon on it. It came out easily, but no telling how much silicon is stuffed down that hole.

SO. What now? Do I have to tear this thing down?

Two questions for you. What kind of bike are you putting it in, and where you located? :cheers:

I'm making sort of a modern version of a TZ350. It's built around a modified RD350 frame with shee engine, TZ bodywork and lots of modern bits (dual front discs, hydraulic clutch, modern shocks, etc). And I'm located in Austin, TX.

Fwiw, I have a peculiar sickness that makes this appropriate for me, but it's not the ideal frame for a road-going banshee. For about the same money you could drop a shee engine into an RS250 chassis, and in fact you wouldn't even have to weld anything (the Two Stroke Shop makes bolt-on bracketry for the purpose). An RS250, or even a Ninja, would handle the power wayyy better than an RD or TZ frame would.

But that's a little beside the point. Why, do you have a similar illness?

I might not have the sickness , but I got exposed some how. While searching CL for a bike for my son I saw several 500 Ninjas and the thought crossed my mind :drool: . Didn't know if you could get away with it :rotflmao: . Mostly smog popo. probably get a blown Ninja cheaper than any kind of RD/RZ. Post up some pics when you get it done. Will this be a street or track bike? :cheers:

I might not have the sickness , but I got exposed some how. While searching CL for a bike for my son I saw several 500 Ninjas and the thought crossed my mind :drool: . Didn't know if you could get away with it :rotflmao: . Mostly smog popo. probably get a blown Ninja cheaper than any kind of RD/RZ. Post up some pics when you get it done. Will this be a street or track bike? :cheers:

Yeah, depends where you are and what frame you put it in. Part of the trick here is getting it street legal (it will be a street bike with occasional track use). Since it's going to be titled as a '73 RD350, there won't be any smog checks - not so with a modern Ninja chassis, and of course an RS250 comes with even bigger problems since it would never have had a road-going VIN. Of course, in TX you can get just about anything street legal.

Besides the legal issues, there are of course a few technical complications to overcome as well - getting or making pipes that will mount gracefully, motor mounts, and then of course the trans gearing is shorter than it ought to be for a street motorcycle, adapting a different radiator. There are fairly straightforward solutions to all of that. If you find yourself wanting to do this at some point, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what I know.

Alex

Edited by xander450