BOSS Intakes

SandmanPNW

As some members know already from the coos bay ride/rainfest, I was temporarily unable to ride due to these POS intake boots ripping. I emailed boss to see what was up and have not gotten a reply. The email went out Mon. 4/18. I have 3 maybe 4 rides at most on these things and the one that isn't ripped is showing signs of wear pretty bad already. Just wanted to get this out there. Just glad I didn't roast my new motor. Many thanks to Cameron @ Redline for bringing me a fresh set of boots. I am not one to bitch about stuff but there is a first time for everything.

My review,

Fitment: Good,

Quality:Shit

Customer Service: Shit

I have a boss intake without ride time so I can't say anything about the quality of mine, but the boots are interchangeable from other billet intakes such as the chariot. In their defense I would imagine they don't product the rubber boot and in the respect the billet piece seems to be nice. shrug03.gif

I hope they get back to you soon.

Boss intake is a good intake. They dont mfg their own intake boots. Mine came with Genuine Mikuni carb boots. Look on the lip it should say Mikuni and have a part number somthing like this. VM 34-200. The problem isnt with the boots. When you get fuel on the boots it softens them up a little. Then when you overtighten the clamp the clamp cuts the boots. Dont overtighten it and you wont have a problem.

Buy a couple to keep on hand. These are the ones on my boss intake for 33-35mm carbs. $16 bucks each

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=1867&catId=311&leafCatId=31102

Most aftermarket billit intakes use mikuni boots.

Edited by jbooker82

Boss intake is a good intake. They dont mfg their own intake boots. Mine came with Genuine Mikuni carb boots. Look on the lip it should say Mikuni and have a part number somthing like this. VM 34-200.

Thats strange. I looked mine over real good today and there isnt any kind of marking on the boots....I wonder if they switched boots suppliers mid-production or something?

Thats strange. I looked mine over real good today and there isnt any kind of marking on the boots....I wonder if they switched boots suppliers mid-production or something?

They could have. Mine were real mikuni boots. The part number was right on the lip of the boot.

You can kind of see them in this pic.

100_2086.jpg?t=1304387718

Edited by jbooker82

Yea, i can see them. You got the real deal there. I was looking in that location too,,didnt see them on mine. Strange.

I wonder if they use a similar rubber like whats on their "K&N" knock-off filters? Have you noticed how that rubber is different than whats on a genuine K&N filter?

They could have. Mine were real mikuni boots. The part number was right on the lip of the boot.

You can kind of see them in this pic.

100_2086.jpg?t=1304387718

My boss racing intake is just like that & I never had a problem out of it.....JMO

Edited by 252wheelieking

expecting the same quality for half the price? OR why are we settling for lesser quality at the SAME higher price??

all i can say is you probably got some crap ass chinese knock off bullshit boots and thats why they ripped i have had the mikuni genuine boots last for years and years with solvent all over them, fuel spilled all over them and clamps wayy to tight, cooked in hot water to soften them up enough that they will fit bigger carbs etc etc. the real deal holds up excellent

be carefull with what you buy those knock off filters are ok BUT the clamps that come with them are total shit.

tell thes companies to take that imported chinese crap and stuff it up their ass. bring manufacturing BACK to the USA

expecting the same quality for half the price? OR why are we settling for lesser quality at the SAME higher price??

Well, there are no markings of Mikuni on the ripped boot so I guess BOSS chose the 2nd one. The new boots I got when Cameron(Redline) came down to coos are Mikuni. Looks like Boss is cutting corners. Still no response from them by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

I have imported BOSS intakes, they came with CRACKED boots brand new... It really sucked... They had no part number on them, so I went on and had to order new carb boots from Mukini... They are almost 3 years old on some motors with no problems...