feeler gauge readings

hey, i was wondering about feeler gauges, this isnt banshee related, i appoligize, but i cant get a sensible answer from other forums...checking valve clearances on my gsxr 750, the service limit of the intake valves is 0.10 - 0.20 mm or 0.004 - 0.008inch and the service limit for the exhaust is 0.20 0.30mm or 0.008 - 0.0012inch........so i guess heres my delema, i dont have and expremely precise feeler gauge set. mine jumps from 0.008inch to 0.0010inch to 0.0012inch....0.0014inch so on for the exhaust there is a few valves that i can stick the 0.0012inch in, although quite snug..and the 0.0014inch will not go in...i haev a similar problem with my intake valves...so what im wondering is is this a correct reading? also i heard that the valve clearances tighten up rather than loosen up, so should i adjust the shims or just leave it? thanks, im not sure how much sense this all makes but i sppreciate any input :)

hey, i was wondering about feeler gauges, this isnt banshee related, i appoligize, but i cant get a sensible answer from other forums...checking valve clearances on my gsxr 750, the service limit of the intake valves is 0.10 - 0.20 mm or 0.004 - 0.008inch and the service limit for the exhaust is 0.20 0.30mm or 0.008 - 0.0012inch........so i guess heres my delema, i dont have and expremely precise feeler gauge set. mine jumps from 0.008inch to 0.0010inch to 0.0012inch....0.0014inch so on for the exhaust there is a few valves that i can stick the 0.0012inch in, although quite snug..and the 0.0014inch will not go in...i haev a similar problem with my intake valves...so what im wondering is is this a correct reading? also i heard that the valve clearances tighten up rather than loosen up, so should i adjust the shims or just leave it? thanks, im not sure how much sense this all makes but i sppreciate any input :)

Sounds to me like you should leave it alone. Yes the tighten up as the valve and seat wear. A little loose In my opinion is a good thing. Too tight is not good. Usually when I shim valves I try to get them closest to the loose end of the tolerance. If the .012 gauge is snug your good to go! Id leave it alone and button back up.

If its a shimm under bucket i wouldnt go any looser than.001 on the outer limit of spec.Now if your just cruising around theres no need to go crazy.I work on alot of inline 4s your readings seems fine ,your rite in the outer limit,I wouldnt touch it,yes it does wear in reverse

im doing a complete rebuild, so ill be going slow and steady while im breaking her in, but once shes broke in ill be racing her often...so id like to get it correct....some other factors i have is that i put molybdendum oil soultion on the cam faces, so there is a film of oil on the surfaces when im checking the clearance....but ive slide the feeler gauge in so often now that i think most of it has worn away.....all of my valves are in spec but 3....or so i think.....i have 2 intake valves that the 0.20mm feeler (upper tolerance range, maximum loose) slides in with id say a medium resistance....and i have 1 exhaust valve that takes the 0.30mm (upper loose tolerance maximum) and it is much tighter a fit....i think im happy with this exhaust valve clearance because its such a tight fit....but id like the 2 intakes to be slightly tighter, they have a 154 shim a 156, this is the exact measurement of them, i used a mic...so i got a 158 and a 159 that im thinking about switching places with, this should tighten them up a bit.....the clearance on the valves that have the 158 and 159 were right in the mid range of the clearance range, at 0.15, so i think this would be ok? i guess what im worried about is the 2 intake valves perhaps having a clearance of say 0.21 or 0.22, maybe 0.23, the next size feeler i have is 0.24 and this one will not fit in....

Edited by BANSH-alena-jol-EE