Information on Override Transmission.

I have a Banshee That I've put together for trail riding and endurance racing and it seems like a lot of my time has been dedicated to riding. I bought my six year old daughter a Brand New Mini Eagle 110cc Automatic Youth Quad off eBay ($540 Shipped) and modded it up. I took the cheap Wheels and Tires off it and replaced them with a set of light weight polished aluminum wheels wrapped in new 13X5-6 Maxxis Razr knock offs ($95.00 plus $20 Shipping), took all the nuts off the bolts and replaced them with nylon locking nuts and used Loc-Tite on the welded nuts, replaced the oil (Mobil 1 5W-40), grease(Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease), and put Prestone D.O.T.-4 Synthetic Brake Fluid in the Brake Master Cylinder. Then I ran up on a great deal on a FMF Power Core 4 Stainless Steel Head Pipe and Silencer for a Yamaha YMF Raptor 90cc (Winning Bid-$63.00 Free Shipping), so I took a chance and bought it it bolted right up and was routed the same way the cheap China Exhaust was. I only had to cut about 5.5 inches off the back of the header where it mounts to the Power Core 4 Silencer and have the guys at work re-weld the Silencer to the Head Pipe. Those changes along with a FMF Jet Kit (80 Main and 15 Pilot) helped out that Mini Quad tremendously. She hangs right in there with all my other buddy's kids on there Mini 50/80/90cc quads, and so far knock on wood I'd say she has over 30hrs of ride time with no problems what so ever. It's hard to believe it performs and holds up like it does. I have a total of $764.00 in everything tires, wheels, synthetic fluids, exhaust, jet kit, graphics everything, and my buddy Jordan spent $2,400 + on a new Honda TRX-90, we haven't got them to race yet but I'd say it will be interesting; she might beat him.

So now all I need to do is find my wife a good bike we have been together for six years and I would love her to get interested in riding. My buddy's wife has a 2000 Blaster (She can barely drive it's on clutch number 3) and he rides a 05 Special Edition Raptor 660R and the 6 year old son drives the 2009 TRX-90. I thought about getting my wife a Blaster, but I'm afraid the combination of a 2 stroke, and a Manual Transmission will be to much. She can barely drive a stick shift car and shes the type that gives up easy gets frustrated. So what would you guys think about me buying her a newer Warrior and sending the transmission to some one like Duneable and having them put a Override set up in it with straight cut gears? I read on one forum that they made a pretty nice kit that was set up for trail riding. I think that would be the perfect set up for her, I could get that transmission mod put in bolt on a aftermarket exhaust, skid plates, and a few other things on she would be ready to go. I know a utility quad makes much more since, but I don't want her to be the only utility quad in a pack of sport quads. Any information on these transmissions or anything like them would be very helpful. I don't even know how these Overrides work. Do you use the clutch when you take off? I mean I know nothing about them. Please help me out I know some of you HQ'ers can relate to what I'm trying to do here. It's sad when we all load up to go riding for the day and she stays home and cleans house. So get the recommendations and information coming.

Thanks

Edited by Thack82

an override trans allows you to shift full throttle with out using the clutch.you still need the clutch to take off. if your wife is not experienced with manuel trans.it would not be a good idea to run a override. you need to look into a recluse type clutch.or find a polaris 400 sport,they are heavy but make power easy.

an override trans allows you to shift full throttle with out using the clutch.you still need the clutch to take off. if your wife is not experienced with manuel trans.it would not be a good idea to run a override. you need to look into a recluse type clutch.or find a polaris 400 sport,they are heavy but make power easy.

I would have to say the same exact thing. An override does not make the quad an automatic. Back load it or downshift it often and she'll still find herself sitting at home while you all ride. lol There are plenty of introductory level sport quads available now, but there is one that has been around and you should be able to find for cheap... and that's the honda 250ex. Its lightweight, nimble, reliable, and sports a 5 speed auto-clutch. Using a centrifugal clutch, she only has to concentrate on selecting the next gear. The aftermarket has dabbled a little in the 250ex platform so there are exhaust and intake options out there for later.

The polaris scramblers (and other polaris quads) are junk IMO. They use a McPherson strut suspension which sucks. They are heavy and high centered. And they seem to always have problems whether it be the drive belts or the motor or the mile of chains they use. Anyway, good luck!

Get her a KFX700, they are beasts, just heavy.

Automatics and they sound like a harly davidson when you start them up.

You should look at a Suzuki LTZ400, Kawasaki KFX400, or Artic Cat DVX400. They are all made by suzuki but have different colors, and the artic cat dvx400 has a little different body work. They are great starter atv's. They have a big wide soft comfy seat, they steer easy, and have a low 1st gear to get it rolling. They will ride much better than a warrior / raptor 350

Edited by jbooker82

Try this......go find one of your ladies good friends who knows/has a manual tranny car and see if she'll try and show her. Problem is our women get frustrated tryin to learn from us because they feel pressured cause WE want to see them ride. They want to but they also don't want to let us down so its alot of pressure on them (or at least they think)

i agree with jbookers on the LTZ400. I own both a banshee and a 2004 ltz400 and i have to say that the z400 is a PERFECT starter quad and still a formidable quad when your experience level grows. I've taight a few different people how to ride the ltz400 and they all wind up saying the same thing.....this isn't hard at all! My buddy is now planning on getting his wife a z400 because of how impressed he is with mine. she's got really bad back problems but she don't mind riding the z400......and the clutches that are on them are REALLY smooth and easy to pull/control even for the smallest of women.

I still hop on mine quite a bit and every single time im still amazed at how great it actually rides. You can come into a turn WAY too hard or with horrible technique and where other quads would create REALLY hairy situations that would make your ass pucker.....the z400 just bares down hard and takes it. you can push it too hard into the turn and the suspension on it will make it very very easy to save it or correct mid-turn so that you can exit safely.

I plan on teaching my little woman to ride this spring summer and she's going to be taking over my z400. She's 120 lbs and im not going to have any worries about weather she can learn.....