Pro Design Cool Head Install Question

vizmark

I bought a used pro design cool head. The prior owner used a gasket sealer (rubbery substance) to help it seal. From my searching on here, the only thing most of you have used is some grease to get the O-rings to stay put. Is the sealer extra insurance to avoid a leak or is it not even necessary? Also do I need to use copper washers under the head nuts?

Thanks for your help.

Id start off with some new orings, make sure the smooth center of the studs are completely free of burs and nics. Then a little grease can help hold the orings in. You shouldn't need any sealer on anything. Just make sure everything is good and clean and straight. No nics or scrapes on the sealing surfaces. You can put washers on the nuts, dont think it's mandatory though. I always do just to keep them from digging into the head.

Dont use any sealer. Use some vasoline or petrolium jelly, not grease. It is only there to hold the o rings in place until you have installed the head. Vasoline will melt and disperse once you have started up the engine. Wheel bearing or any other grease will stay chunked together until it breaks loose. Then you have chuncks of grease floating around in the cooling system.

Here is the easiest way to install the head.

Remove the rear 90 deg elbow from the head. That way your not tring to fight the rear coolant hose while trying to keep the o rings in place.

Install one dome at a time. Just set them over the cylinder in the apporximate location.

Then slide the shell over the studs and down on top of the domes. Make sure you line up the locating notch in the dome with the finger in the head shell.

Install the top plate and torque it down.

Finally reinstall the rear elbow.

Make sure you line up the locating notch in the dome with the finger in the head shell.

jbooker82,

I didn't know about this. I will have to look at my head. Thanks!!

There is a notch cut in to the dome and there is a finger in the shell. It keeps the dome from spinning when installing and removing sparkplugs. It will have one.