Can jets really make a major difference?

troyzstang

I'll keep this short but I need advice from the pros.

** Shock carbs & stock jets (25 pilot & 200 main)

** CPI Big bore with Silencers

** V force 3 reeds & Cage

Bike idles fine but bogs bad on acceleration. Disconnected the tors wiring and no change at all.

Please confirm my solution ** 32 pilot & 300 to 320 main

Please reply

I'll keep this short but I need advice from the pros.

** Shock carbs & stock jets (25 pilot & 200 main)

** CPI Big bore with Silencers

** V force 3 reeds & Cage

Bike idles fine but bogs bad on acceleration. Disconnected the tors wiring and no change at all.

Please confirm my solution ** 32 pilot & 300 to 320 main

Please reply

yeah man you need to go way up on your jetting before you toast that motor. 290 range easy....if it idles fine leave the idle jet alone.

drop a 290 in and do a plug chop.

Thanks for the input.

Can anyone educate me futher.

** Do jets function on three separate levels?

1st Pilot jet = idle to 1/4

2nd slide/needle = 1/4 to 3/4

3rd main = 3/4 to full

If this is correct and I can''t get off the pilot circuit without bogging down how will changing the main solve my problem?

Just trying to learn

Please reply.

For the most part yes what you wrote is correct, however there is some bleed over so to speak. Large changes in main jet size will effect the needle for sure. Something very important that has not been asked is what kind of air filter are you running. I would say that a 290 would be about right if you have a foam filter in the box, but if you are running pods and cpis at sea level and 50 degree temps id put a 330-340 in it to start and work down if needed. My guess is stock pilots or 27.5s Go bigger than you think you will need, at worst you waste some time and about 6 bucks on some jets. Go to lean and you might melt it, and that sucks

For the most part yes what you wrote is correct, however there is some bleed over so to speak. Large changes in main jet size will effect the needle for sure. Something very important that has not been asked is what kind of air filter are you running. I would say that a 290 would be about right if you have a foam filter in the box, but if you are running pods and cpis at sea level and 50 degree temps id put a 330-340 in it to start and work down if needed. My guess is stock pilots or 27.5s Go bigger than you think you will need, at worst you waste some time and about 6 bucks on some jets. Go to lean and you might melt it, and that sucks

Great info

Thanks

I do have a foam filter in the stock box.

Do I have to put the box and filter back in during the initial tuning process? That box is a pain in the ass & I should change up to pods.

Anyway can I work without the box until I get it dialed in closer & then apply the box?

Great info

Thanks

I do have a foam filter in the stock box.

Do I have to put the box and filter back in during the initial tuning process? That box is a pain in the ass & I should change up to pods.

Anyway can I work without the box until I get it dialed in closer & then apply the box?

NO, you have to have your filters in place as they will affect jetting. And going to a different style filter will affect the jetting also. I would get a set of pods installed,throw in a set of 30 pilots and start with amain in the 320-340 range.Do a proper plug chop and see where your at.

most aftermarket pipes require more fuel on the low end so you need to throw at least a 27.5 pilot jet in there. and jetting on a 2stroke isn't to make more power....its to supply it with enough fuel/oil mix to keep the motor from leaning out and melting the pistons...

Well I've spent the better part of the afternoon trying to solve my problem with no success.

What I've done so far

* Tors elimination kit

* 27.5 Pilots

* 300 mains

* raised needle jet to the second slot from the top.

There is absolutely no change with the bike. Idles fine smokes to much as soon as I increase throttle. It really seems like the rpms wont even increase.

What am I doing wrong. banghead

Please continue to share your input

Thanks in advance

Troy

Edited by troyzstang

Well I've spent the better part of the afternoon trying to solve my problem with no success.

What I've done so far

* Tors elimination kit

* 27.5 Pilots

* 300 mains

* raised needle jet to the second slot from the top.

There is absolutely no change with the bike. Idles fine smokes to much as soon as I increase throttle. It really seems like the rpms wont even increase.

What am I doing wrong. banghead

Please continue to share your input

Thanks in advance

Troy

I believe you leaned out the needle when you went up a notch. I'm assuming that you cleaned everything good when you had it apart. Are the carbs in synch? Just throwing some ideas out there, I'm still learning the fuel system on these things myself.