CPI Silencer End Caps

If they are just the factoy round end caps why not just turn them. Redill and tap 3 new holes. Use the current holes in the silencer body to mark the new ones.

Thats a good idea. My biggest problem right now is, I repacked them no problems there. Go to put the end caps back on and only 2 out of the 3 screws line up....its like the holes on the cap are barley off and not lining up perfect with the canister.

Can aluminum be re-tapped?

Edited by 06specialedition

Surpisingly CPI doesn't have a standard spacing on the silencer holes. You would think that they would have all the holes on every pipe drilled the same. But they don't. If you pull the left cap off the left silencer and turn it 1/3 turn clockwise the holes won't line up. If you put the left cap on the right pipe...None of the holes line up. It's like they hand drill each hole by eye. When you buy new caps from them they come Un-drilled, so you have to drill and tap them yourself. So turning them and re-drilling them will work just as well. Otherwise mark your caps well before you pull them apart, or swap and twist till you find the original placement for both caps.

Hope that helps you, and anyone thinking of re-packing soon.

Surpisingly CPI doesn't have a standard spacing on the silencer holes. You would think that they would have all the holes on every pipe drilled the same. But they don't. If you pull the left cap off the left silencer and turn it 1/3 turn clockwise the holes won't line up. If you put the left cap on the right pipe...None of the holes line up. It's like they hand drill each hole by eye. When you buy new caps from them they come Un-drilled, so you have to drill and tap them yourself. So turning them and re-drilling them will work just as well. Otherwise mark your caps well before you pull them apart, or swap and twist till you find the original placement for both caps.

Hope that helps you, and anyone thinking of re-packing soon.

Yeah, I love these pipes but I'm coming to find out the silencers pretty much suck. The design isn't the best. At least I got them all nice and repacked really good.

I wish I could run a different silencer on these...just something easier to repack and work on.

Nothing wrong with the silencers. Packing one pipe is as hard as any other. The only issue is that the caps have to stay in the original clock position as they came off. Mark the 12 o'clock position on each and mark left and right cap before you take it apart, and it will go back together like a dream. Could be worse, you could be drilling out rivits and then having to re-rivit you pipes back together like you do with some brands...

Nothing wrong with the silencers. Packing one pipe is as hard as any other. The only issue is that the caps have to stay in the original clock position as they came off. Mark the 12 o'clock position on each and mark left and right cap before you take it apart, and it will go back together like a dream. Could be worse, you could be drilling out rivits and then having to re-rivit you pipes back together like you do with some brands...

Yea I agree. Do 1 at a time so you dont mix bodies and end caps. You should be able to hold the end cap up to the body and see if the 3 holes line up. Allen screws are way better than pop rivits. Also a little black rtv helps seal the end caps. Other wise oil will seep out.

The only easier option would be a toomey style where the end cap is held on by a snap ring.

Yea I agree. Do 1 at a time so you dont mix bodies and end caps. You should be able to hold the end cap up to the body and see if the 3 holes line up. Allen screws are way better than pop rivits. Also a little black rtv helps seal the end caps. Other wise oil will seep out.

The only easier option would be a toomey style where the end cap is held on by a snap ring.

Yeah I ended up putting new black allen screws in them. CPI told me to use a little red locktite on the threads...they better not leak banghead

• 4 weeks later...

I haven’t actually received them yet I just bought them a few days ago but from the pictures there are a few bolts that appear to be missing. I would like to get a tap and a few bolts before they show up so that I can get them back together as soon as possible. I have an Oregon trip coming up leaving the 25th so I'm trying to be a little extra prepared sense time is of the essence.