Royal purple max cycle trans oil.

kpennepacker

I used to run royal purple atf if my race truck and have some left over I was going to run in my shee. Not to beat a dead horse how would this do.

I also had a friend of mine give me 2 quarts of the Royal purple max cycle, so thought about using it. I did some research and seen that it seem to have great review in the four stroke arena andis designed for the four stroke with wet clutch but I have searched and haven't seen any one running it in any two strokes. I've search thread upon thread and seen anything form 10 30 motor oil to ATf,

So how would the Royal purple max cycle do and is it better than the royal purple ATf. Which one should i use.

Like I said I know there are hundreds of thread I just never found the answer I was looking for.

Thanks Guys.

It is an engine oil that is designed to be wet clutch compatable. Yamaha specifies running a 4 stroke wet cluch oil (Yamalube 10w30). It just wont be as light as atf. I run a 30 weight oil that is designed for a 2 stroke transmission. It just shifts better than a 10w30 engine oil, and it doesnt need changed near as much as atf.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of friction modifiers in ATF. Which is the big no no in wet clutches.

There is a logo on the back of motor oil that shows if it has friction modifiers or not.

I have a couple jugs of full synthetic Shell Rotella waiting to try. One of my friends has been racing gsxrs for years with that and swears by it.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of friction modifiers in ATF. Which is the big no no in wet clutches.

There is a logo on the back of motor oil that shows if it has friction modifiers or not.

I have a couple jugs of full synthetic Shell Rotella waiting to try. One of my friends has been racing gsxrs for years with that and swears by it.

I dont think there is because automatic transmissions have the same style clutches as atv's and motorcycles. You will be fine running that Shell Rotella T 5w40. It is a diesel engien oil and doesnt have friction modifiers in it. I know a lot of people who run it in 4stroke wet clutch applications. I just prefer to run a oil desinged for a 2 stroke transmission.

Automatic transmissions have between 2 and 6 wet clutch packs in them, so why wouldn't ATF be compatible with an ATV clutch? But I do prefer Klotz Flex Drive 30 for my Banshees, it just makes it shift better and I have never lost a clutch, gear,bearing, or even welded a clutch ball with it.

I used to run royal purple atf if my race truck and have some left over I was going to run in my shee. Not to beat a dead horse how would this do.

I also had a friend of mine give me 2 quarts of the Royal purple max cycle, so thought about using it. I did some research and seen that it seem to have great review in the four stroke arena andis designed for the four stroke with wet clutch but I have searched and haven't seen any one running it in any two strokes. I've search thread upon thread and seen anything form 10 30 motor oil to ATf,

So how would the Royal purple max cycle do and is it better than the royal purple ATf. Which one should i use.

Like I said I know there are hundreds of thread I just never found the answer I was looking for.

Thanks Guys.

Royal Purple Synchromax is the proper brand product to use. We use it on our asphalt drag quad and it works great. Would I spend the money to use it on any other application, probably not! Too pricey $13-$14 a quart.

BK

Isn't the sycromax is for manual transmissions.

Synchromax is a manual transmission fluid that increases performance and the life of your equipment. It improves shifting, reduces gear noise and increases power transfer to the wheels. It also lowers operating temperatures and provides outstanding wear protection for longer transmission life.

Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid. It’s also ideal for 4×4 transfer cases and motorcycle gear boxes. Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of friction materials. It provides excellent corrosion and oxidation protection without affecting the soft metals commonly found in manual transmission synchronizers.

Uhhhh.......... dude, automatic tranny's are wet clutches. Not to mention pretty much any gear oil or atf near the viscosity rating reccomended by the factory, will be a little better then almost any "motor oil". Yeah motor oil is ok, just ok. But once you have several thousands of dollars between your frame rails, you would be nuts to trust any motor oil to do the job at the race track. So fill your duner or the trail bike, but change it every ride or be prepared to have a real Shitty time trying to shift it after a while. You could get away with using motor oil by adding a friction modifer like those used by Eaton. I know of a few guys who use straight lucas gear oil and add the friction modifer that is used in clutched limited slip differentials. He's got a shop full of prestigious trophies, so I won't argue. Plus an added benefit to using an oil that is clutch friendly will be extended clutch life.

Pennepacker, both of those oils you mentioned will be fine. I work in an automotive transmission warehouse and our builder runs royal purple in any of his performance trannys. That shit is tough! I saw a 4l60e after 20 thousand miles with the Alto red clutches and they were mint. If you race you know those altos do not last long. The max cycle is foreign to me, but apparrently they dynoed it with factory oils and it out performs honda's reccomended oil as well as yamalube. I run the Amsoil atf because I get it for a sweet deal by the case, and in a pinch I will swing by a shop and buy an actual twostroke gearbox oil like motul, belray, klotz,etc.

• 1 year later...