trail tech vapor

hey guys was looking and im wanting a trail tech vapor with rpm temp and tells u the speed jw if anyone has one and if they are any good think it would be cool to have one to see the rpms and what not but dont want to spend the money and its no good so if anyone has one or used one and could tell me if there any good thanks

i got a vapor on my bike. do i like it? yes and no. Yes because it allows me to monitor the temp while idling and while underway along with the ambient air temp. i also like having the tach and the mph.....but more so the tach. Don't get me wrong i like goin fast.....but im more worried about how hard im turnin my motor over.

But there are some downsides.....lets be honest here....are you really gonna be able to look down and take a good look at all the info that its tellin you when your hoofing it HARD through the trails? Nope....you wont have the time unless your on a long straigh with wide sides. But you can train your eye to glance at appropiate times to see some info.

Do i like it.....hell yes.....put them on both my shee and my 4-poke.....

just my .02 though

Ok there are a couple things to address here...1. Thats a crazy long run-on sentence. I had to read it twice. Acquaint yourself with the "period" ( . ) key. It should be somewhere around the bottom right-hand side of your keyboard, next to the shift key. 2. You ride trails....who needs rpm's? You ride trails! I was looking at the vector/ endurance because its a slightly simpler design with the same functionality. Its speed, temp, and distance. Id like to see a write up on a vapor or endurance install. Someone just did a vector install not too long ago and it came out fine..i think it was someone named "drewski" or something

Edited by ECshee

The trails i ride here range between medium wide to dirt roads that you could run 3 cars wide down.......so when i say trail ride im usin it libarlly as a high reving 2-4 gear jam session or also a 4-5 mid rev....haha

plus i just like to know how fast im spinnin her.....and i don't wanna let her come to pieces cause i do something stupid.... :shootself:

The trails i ride here range between medium wide to dirt roads that you could run 3 cars wide down.......so when i say trail ride im usin it libarlly as a high reving 2-4 gear jam session or also a 4-5 mid rev....haha

plus i just like to know how fast im spinnin her.....and i don't wanna let her come to pieces cause i do something stupid.... :shootself:

sorry about that was in a hurry in school.... um.. well i want one just to see the mph and rpm and temp i ride in gravel pits and wide open roads and trails..

so like u i would like to see the rpms and what not temp ect. Are they rather easy to install?

there was a great many years between riding quads, where i just rode sleds..........they have tach, and spedometer.......yah, you are not staring at it, but you do look at certain times, and it's nice to correlate feel with what's actually going on. plus, you can utilize shift light, and, i believe, just hook the tach to an aftermarket cdi with tach out, like the dyna fs..... when i get around to installing mine, i'll let ya know...

there was a great many years between riding quads, where i just rode sleds..........they have tach, and spedometer.......yah, you are not staring at it, but you do look at certain times, and it's nice to correlate feel with what's actually going on. plus, you can utilize shift light, and, i believe, just hook the tach to an aftermarket cdi with tach out, like the dyna fs..... when i get around to installing mine, i'll let ya know...

That will probably be more accurate. The problem for using it while riding is that the screen is small and it is a digital numbers and bar graph. An analog autometer tach would be a much better option for trieing to read while riding. Analog gauges are easier to read / comprehend in a split second.

I would still buy one just dont count on looking at it while racing through the trees at high speeds.

AK is right.....there are certain times where you will look at it to make sure things are still good.

Larry...your right...would be nice if they were set up that way....BUT you can actually set the vapor for a certain rpm and it will flash the yellow shift light (blinks real fast) to let you know youve reached that certain rpm. You can set a higher rpm so that when it is hit the red shift light (also blinks real fast) goes nuts to let you know you've hit the high side of the rpms. This rpm light is also used as the shift light (stays lit when its shift time.....blinks fast when rpm level is reached). I've got my low set for just shy of my powerband....and my high set at the highest i want to spin my motor. With a quick glance you can see the lights flashing easier than you can see what rpms you are at.

As for instulation....its really not that bad at all. The temp T-fitting goes between the rediator hose.....the tach inductive pick-up gets wrapped around 1 spark plug wire.....and the wheel speed sensor is what takes the longest. You need to replace a rotor bolt with a magnetic bolt (supplied in kit) and then you install a magnetic inductive pick-up into the dust shield (or a bracket if you don't have the dust shield anymore) for the wiring. If you want to go all out you need to also wire the Vapor up to power to really illuminate the backlight and to use the shift lights. The wiring is stupid easy for this....its literally just daisy chaining 2 - 9volt batteries together (for 18volts) and running it to the +/- wiring on the vapor.

let me know if you've got any other questions.....

AK is right.....there are certain times where you will look at it to make sure things are still good.

Larry...your right...would be nice if they were set up that way....BUT you can actually set the vapor for a certain rpm and it will flash the yellow shift light (blinks real fast) to let you know youve reached that certain rpm. You can set a higher rpm so that when it is hit the red shift light (also blinks real fast) goes nuts to let you know you've hit the high side of the rpms. This rpm light is also used as the shift light (stays lit when its shift time.....blinks fast when rpm level is reached). I've got my low set for just shy of my powerband....and my high set at the highest i want to spin my motor. With a quick glance you can see the lights flashing easier than you can see what rpms you are at.

As for instulation....its really not that bad at all. The temp T-fitting goes between the rediator hose.....the tach inductive pick-up gets wrapped around 1 spark plug wire.....and the wheel speed sensor is what takes the longest. You need to replace a rotor bolt with a magnetic bolt (supplied in kit) and then you install a magnetic inductive pick-up into the dust shield (or a bracket if you don't have the dust shield anymore) for the wiring. If you want to go all out you need to also wire the Vapor up to power to really illuminate the backlight and to use the shift lights. The wiring is stupid easy for this....its literally just daisy chaining 2 - 9volt batteries together (for 18volts) and running it to the +/- wiring on the vapor.

let me know if you've got any other questions.....

well thanks man for the help i am looking like im going to be getting one looks like they have there ways they are good do i need to get a special braket for it to sit on or how does that work thanks

I ntried to run one on my bike but had problems with it. First, I WAS running resistor plugs and it did not make a difference. Whenever the bike was cold if you revved itup at all the Vapor would reset. I even took the bike up to TraiTech twice- the first time they gave me all new sensors and even a new Vapor unit, along with trying EVERY trick they knew to get it to work. When I got home and the bike was cold again it, still did it. The next time I took it to them, they ended up GIVING me a Vector unit and let me keep the Vapor.. I had decided that it was to hard to read the tach when I was riding the dunes and as long as I had the hourmeter, temp and speedo, that was all I really wanted and needed.

well, they come with a cheesey bar clamp, but i'm not sure that would last long on a huffy, much less trail riding. the bast thing is a bar clamp mount, sold separately. there might be visibility issues, if you have a bar pad, but it does have light mounts, i believe