Dune Banshee question

For those who ride in Michigan at silver lake what are you thoughts on this. I wanna build a dune bike its gonna be a banshee. I was thinking of a 4mil cub or 10mil cub on gas. My question is would a 10mil cub be too much for a regular duner? Even if I build a 4mil cub would anything over a plus 10 swingarm be too much for cruising and hill shooting? I know their arnt a lot of hills at silver lake but you know what I mean. Also what type of suspension should I go with? Some marvin shaws, works shocks? Any info?

Edited by BansheeMan187

For those who ride in Michigan at silver lake what are you thoughts on this. I wanna build a dune bike its gonna be a banshee. I was thinking of a 4mil cub or 10mil cub on gas. My question is would a 10mil cub be too much for a regular duner? Even if I build a 4mil cub would anything over a plus 10 swingarm be too much for cruising and hill shooting? I know their arnt a lot of hills at silver lake but you know what I mean. Also what type of suspension should I go with? Some marvin shaws, works shocks? Any info?

I don't ride at sliver lake but I do ride at Little Sahara and I think that unless you want to build something to dune with the best build would be a 4 mil stock cylinder or the new serval cat cylinder motor. A cub motor is gonna be very light switchy since the port timings are more for drag racing.

Just my opinion.

SP

I ride Silver lake with what would (At BEST) be called a Dune/Drag bike. It's a +4 front dune frame, +2 A-arms, +10 swing arm with a 472 Cheetah on gas making mid 94 HP the last time it was on the dyno.

If your going for a full dune ride, I'd go with that new Serval cub 4mill (on gas), a +8 arm and a set of the full Elka Dune Edition shocks. Honestly, that would be my next build. :drool:

NOTE: +10 is LONG for what your describing. You will have plenty of fun with a +8. EVERY bike that Cascade Innovations builds for dune action has a +8.

I ride Silver lake with what would (At BEST) be called a Dune/Drag bike. It's a +4 front dune frame, +2 A-arms, +10 swing arm with a 472 Cheetah on gas making mid 94 HP the last time it was on the dyno.

If your going for a full dune ride, I'd go with that new Serval cub 4mill (on gas), a +8 arm and a set of the full Elka Dune Edition shocks. Honestly, that would be my next build. :drool:

NOTE: +10 is LONG for what your describing. You will have plenty of fun with a +8. EVERY bike that Cascade Innovations builds for dune action has a +8.

A cheetah makes great dune motor cause they make so much usable power. I would second the idea of the serval but there is a bit of pride in make a stock cylinder motor run hard as well. But I would stay away from the cub cylinder unless you want to mostly drag race.

SP

A "dune Banshee" would be good with Aggressive ported stock cyls. or the Serval. A 10mm build is gonna jump in cost considerably. I guess we really need to know exactly how you want to ride it. Like 60-70% duning go stk cyl or Serval. Like 60-70%-up dragging buddies then prolly a Cub. Play bike +4-6" arm, drag bike +8"- up. Along with shocks, the carbs, pipes, paddles etc. will determine how fast it will be and help you get the most out whatever package you decide to build.

A "dune Banshee" would be good with Aggressive ported stock cyls. or the Serval. A 10mm build is gonna jump in cost considerably. I guess we really need to know exactly how you want to ride it. Like 60-70% duning go stk cyl or Serval. Like 60-70%-up dragging buddies then prolly a Cub. Play bike +4-6" arm, drag bike +8"- up. Along with shocks, the carbs, pipes, paddles etc. will determine how fast it will be and help you get the most out whatever package you decide to build.

Its gonna be about 80% dune riding, 20% drag racing buddies. I'm guessing the serval cub cylinders would be the way to go. How much HP do they put out on pump gas? Say I go with a +6 or +8 swingarm. How many paddle would you reccomend? I was thinking a +8 swingarm with 12 paddles.

Sounds alittle overkill to me for duning on the arm and tires but i would need to know more about rider wieght, setup, etc...

Its gonna be about 80% dune riding, 20% drag racing buddies. I'm guessing the serval cub cylinders would be the way to go. How much HP do they put out on pump gas? Say I go with a +6 or +8 swingarm. How many paddle would you recomend? I was thinking a +8 swingarm with 12 paddles.

We've got 40-60-80 and high 90+HP bikes in our group that rides Silver Lake. We also have a dynojet 188 chassis dyno, so I'm not guessing here. LOL.

The 60HP bikes (4 of them) are running +6 arms with a 21X12X8-10 paddle extremes with 14-41 to 14-43 gearing. They are perfect for true dune action. Wheelies, jumping, turns and roost. Those same +6 bikes are also ridden on dirt at "Fox Valley Off-Road", "The Cliffs", and "The Badlands" with zero issues.

(I was on our 370 long rod 60HP +6 bike at the Badlands just 2 weeks ago and did the whole place and I'm going for another trip to Fox Valley Off-Road tomorrow)

NOTE:This is the bike that I'm thinking of putting the new serval cub motor into. With the serval cubs 80HP and massive torque, the +6 arm on this bike will feel more like a +4 with all that power. Although I think 80HP might end up being a bit much for the woods, but the serval cub has tons of low end torque and might just feel alot like a 4-stroke....time will tell. ;)

The 80HP bikes (three of them)are running +8's with a 22X11X8- 10 and 12 paddle extremes. These bikes are power wheelie bikes (not the kind you ride slow wheelies back and forth down the beach) But you ride wheelies up the face of the hills and down the back side. They spend 3/4 of their time dragging because when you make 80+ HP...well Dragging is the only way to really show it off. LOL. But these bike do catch some air. They just aren't known for going big.

The 90+ bikes (three of them) are almost fully dedicated to dragging. (I'm a freak in that I dune mine.) But for the record....I'm not jumping with a +10 arm :blink: But the only time the front wheels are on the ground is when I'm in the middle of a high speed sideways drifting turn. (Because with 90+HP and a set of 74RO 14 paddle extremes on the rear, your front tires don't quite have much to say when your at full speed. LOL)

With the Serval Cubs 80HP, I'd get that and pick your swingarm based on how easy you want the front end to come up. That's a personal choice and not very hard to change if your wrong......

We've got 40-60-80 and high 90+HP bikes in our group that rides Silver Lake. We also have a dynojet 188 chassis dyno, so I'm not guessing here. LOL.

The 60HP bikes (4 of them) are running +6 arms with a 21X12X8-10 paddle extremes with 14-41 to 14-43 gearing. They are perfect for true dune action. Wheelies, jumping, turns and roost. Those same +6 bikes are also ridden on dirt at "Fox Valley Off-Road", "The Cliffs", and "The Badlands" with zero issues.

(I was on our 370 long rod 60HP +6 bike at the Badlands just 2 weeks ago and did the whole place and I'm going for another trip to Fox Valley Off-Road tomorrow)

NOTE:This is the bike that I'm thinking of putting the new serval cub motor into. With the serval cubs 80HP and massive torque, the +6 arm on this bike will feel more like a +4 with all that power. Although I think 80HP might end up being a bit much for the woods, but the serval cub has tons of low end torque and might just feel alot like a 4-stroke....time will tell. ;)

The 80HP bikes (three of them)are running +8's with a 22X11X8- 10 and 12 paddle extremes. These bikes are power wheelie bikes (not the kind you ride slow wheelies back and forth down the beach) But you ride wheelies up the face of the hills and down the back side. They spend 3/4 of their time dragging because when you make 80+ HP...well Dragging is the only way to really show it off. LOL. But these bike do catch some air. They just aren't known for going big.

The 90+ bikes (three of them) are almost fully dedicated to dragging. (I'm a freak in that I dune mine.) But for the record....I'm not jumping with a +10 arm :blink: But the only time the front wheels are on the ground is when I'm in the middle of a high speed sideways drifting turn. (Because with 90+HP and a set of 74RO 14 paddle extremes on the rear, your front tires don't quite have much to say when your at full speed. LOL)

With the Serval Cubs 80HP, I'd get that and pick your swingarm based on how easy you want the front end to come up. That's a personal choice and not very hard to change if your wrong......

Thanks for the info I appreciate it!