Cryo Treatment - thermal metal tempering

I have cryotreated my entire motor last year and I am getting ready to do some more parts again this year. The thing is it takes alot of nitrogen, so many shops who do the process tend to have a minimum order size that they will run to make the cost up of the nitrogen. I only want to do some pistons and a head this time around and it would cost the same as if I do alot of parts. Usually the starting rate would be around $150 and I could problably squeeze in a tranny and clutch parts if any one would like to split the cost. It is the same process that WCR does to all their trannies. I am in michigan, so any locals interested would be a bonus.

Check out the process @ www.300below.com

Edited by trickedcarbine

The results from the process are almost infinate. Cryo treatment is used in many industries from tool and die to misc machine jobs. It makes metals stronger, provides better wear capabilities, helps with more consistant thermal expansion in pistons and cylinders, helps flexable parts like springs keep a consistant rate even under temperature and heavy use, etc. It is done by nascar teams, rally champs, top fuel all stars, even Military machine and arms production. I really wish there were more people who knew about the process. I would reccomend almost any metal part on any motor, machine, or weapon be put through cryo treatment.

Alot of subaru guys look to the process for tranny parts after they get around 500 hp. There isn't much aftermarket for the internal tranny parts, and if there is it is expensive one off parts that cost thousands of dollars and usually a cryo treated oem part is able to take the same abuse.

I will just list a part and talk briefly of the benefit

Head/domes- better thermal expansion and cooling

Cylinders-more wear resistant as well as better expansion with the piston also cools better

Pistons/rings- same as cylinders

Tranny/clutch parts- STRENGTH! as well as better wear capabilities

Clutch springs- last longer and keep more consistant feel and pressure, less fade under temp

Crank - Strength to take harshest punishment

Bearings- longer life due to better strength and wear, and their supporting parts last longer

Rotors- on for two seasons, barely looks like pads touch it

The list goes on and on, check out the detailed info over at www.300below.com. I personaly have used 300 Below and they were fast. They had a discrepancy on price when they saw how much was in my lil ol banshee engine but they did go back to the price originally qouted in the shifter cart engine sheet. To do the entire motor will problably run about 400 now from them. However, I did find a guy in michigan who is from nascar country in north carolina, who is way cheaper, but the batch of parts needs to be bigger to make maximum bang for the buck.

Man, Zilla......... That is just the price you are gonna have to pay. Or just smoke a fat chunk o' meth and get to tearing that motor down. Otherwise you are just gonna have to sit there in the darkest corner of your hole with your little pud in your hands wondering " what could of been". The only outcome at this point is when you are taking your motor apart next year, you will be looking at pure carnage thinikin " Man, I bet if I cryotreated that, it would be in one piece." Lmao

Uhh........guys, I assure you they aren't just dipping parts in liquid N2. The parts are first brought down to -320 degrees below zero over a period of a day or even days. Then the temperature is slowly cycled to heat in the upper hundreds of degrees for the same period of time. The gas is dispersed in a very precice way and is nowhere near just dipping stuff in liquid N2. If you were to do a motor you need to dissassemble it entirely and remove seals and or gaskets so they dont crack in the extreme cold or melt/burn in the heat treating. Gotta google it, there is so much awesome stuff being done with this process.

so cold then heat then cold then heat then cold then heat?

why not just heat treat them? sounds like ti does the same thing

I have a couple of cryoed transmissions.........they were done several years ago. Dont really know if it helps or not, but I have not had a trans failure since. And I had a ton of trans problems before............LOL It could certainly be coincidence............

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, I'd be on board but my funds have been focused on the suspension aspect of my build and I'm left with nothing for the motor for probably another few weeks.

I feel like this would best be done on new parts freshly broken/worn in to help keep them in this prime state though.

Don't they have coatings that do similar things such as reduce wear also?

well.........i'm not gonna have a tranny anywhere near done any time soon, but i'm sending a couple cranks out to get rebuilt.....how soon are you lookin to do it, and how much room? you think coated pistons would go good with a crank?