Switching Oils... what to do?

papasmurf

Hey guys, wasn't really sure which forum to post this in.

The guy I bought my banshee from has been using yamalube and it had a full tank of it when I bought it. I want to switch to a fully synthetic, should I try to burn off as much gas as I can (including reserve) before I put in the new mixture? Would you guys recommend just draining all of the mixture out first?

Also what are your thoughts on synthetic vs semi-synthetic, I was considering switching to Klotz Supertechniplate at 32:1.

Lastly, if I switch the oil in my mixture is it recommended I switch my regular oil to the synthetic also? Or does that not matter at all.

The guy I bought my banshee from has been using yamalube and it had a full tank of it when I bought it. I want to switch to a fully synthetic, should I try to burn off as much gas as I can (including reserve) before I put in the new mixture? Would you guys recommend just draining all of the mixture out first?

Also what are your thoughts on synthetic vs semi-synthetic, I was considering switching to Klotz Supertechniplate at 32:1.

Lastly, if I switch the oil in my mixture is it recommended I switch my regular oil to the synthetic also? Or does that not matter at all.

I would just drain the tank and put your new fresh mixture in. also i like synthetic alot better it is thicker and coats better. as for the reg oil no it doesnt matter i use the cheap walmart atf type f and motul 800 2t premix at 32:1. i would put fresh plugs in as well to make sure the jetting isnt affected.

Be very carefull anytime there's a possibility of mixing regular with synthetic oils. I was to cheap to throw out my old race fuel and weed eater gas before the start of a new seson and decided to burn it in my lawn tractor. Ended up with the WHOLE fuel system full of little tiny "jelly" beads. It was a nightmare to get cleaned out.

I would just drain you tank and start all over. If your running gas I prefer Klotz R-50, for alcohol the Super-Techniplate is awesome. :headbang:

I would just drain you tank and start all over. If your running gas I prefer Klotz R-50, for alcohol the Super-Techniplate is awesome. :headbang:

Yea looks like I won't be needing to drain the tank afterall, I went for a morning ride and after about 20 minutes or so I ran out of gas. At first I was like, oh no problem I still have my reserve fuel but when I switched to reserve I didn't get any more gas :unsure:

Apparently the guy I bought it from didn't set up the reserve right so I ran my tank bone dry and had to roll it back to my house....

Yea looks like I won't be needing to drain the tank afterall, I went for a morning ride and after about 20 minutes or so I ran out of gas. At first I was like, oh no problem I still have my reserve fuel but when I switched to reserve I didn't get any more gas :unsure:

Apparently the guy I bought it from didn't set up the reserve right so I ran my tank bone dry and had to roll it back to my house....

Lol that sucks!

Hopefully you where close to home :shrugani:

I would just drain the tank and put your new fresh mixture in. also i like synthetic alot better it is thicker and coats better. as for the reg oil no it doesnt matter i use the cheap walmart atf type f and motul 800 2t premix at 32:1. i would put fresh plugs in as well to make sure the jetting isnt affected.

Hey where do you buy your motul 800? And do you use the road version or off-road, I can't seem to find the difference between the two

Hey guys where in the hell do I find some high quality synthetic oil? I'm looking for klotz, amsoil or Motul preferably... i checked my local auto stores and none of them have any

Here ya go: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Chemicals&webTypeId=397&webCatId=23

I just bought 3 L of Bel Ray HR1 @ 21.00 bucks each. Currently I cant cant ride when ever I want to, so my banshee sits a lot. I havent rode it in 8months. I normally run klotz supertechniplate, but the caser oil in it gets gummy when it sits and dries out. There is no problem with the fuel in the tank but when the carb bowls dry out that is where it starts to get gummy. I took the carbs appart a week ago since it sat for 8 months. They were clean, with a little stabil left in the bowl. I just had a pilot jets partly pluged. Sitting that long it can happen with about any oil, but I though I would try a good synthetic oil.