temperature gun

soulboy

LMAO... my bad matt... im still stuck in 4stroke world apparently... I got a very legitament excuse... i have about 10 minutes of expeirence on a banshee and ive owned it for aprox 2 months... :)

im just referencing my experience to my kfx... had a problem with the coolent flow so all that was happenin was my fan coming on more faster and more on a regualr basis... when I put the heat gun to it... my head was reading alot higher then it should of....so slapped a billet impellar and voila stock one was broken...

LOL, I was just fuckin' with you...

The surface temp of the cylinders doesn't matter like the internal water temperature. You can't tell the operating temp from the outside temp reading.

I have to disagree,the external temp is an indication of internal temperatures..Internal temps are around 1500 degrees ,but since we are unable to measure direct cylinder and bearing surface temps,we must rely on external surface temps and the coolants ability to transfer excessive heat from the cylinders..When the coolant reaches its maximum thermal transfer ability,the material around it will absorb more heat and surface temps will indicate that.At that point damage may already be done,but at least you know that a breakdown is inevitable.

I have lived and died by the temp gun readings as long as I have been in the business of industrial machine repair.If you know how to use one,they are the best diagnostic tool.Remember tho,they don't work well on reflective surfaces,you should not use them to gauge temps over a radiant heat source(like right above the exhaust pipe).the most effective and accurate measurements should be taken within 2-3 feet of the target.

I bet you would notice a change in water temp or the radiator over boiling before you would notice a drastic change in surface temp. The farther away you get from the combustion proccess the less accurate measurement and the longer it takes to increase or decress in temperature.

The first, and best measurement is going to be exahust gas temp. It changes the fastest and is directly related to engine temp.

Next is the water temp.

I wouldn't even consider surface temp an accurate measurement. The damage would be done by the time you noticed an extreem temp change. If you like surface temps so well then get you some of those Pro Circuit "Fish Tank" temp strips. Then you dont have to carry your IR gun.

thermostrip_1_large.jpg

ture.

The first, and best measurement is going to be exahust gas temp. It changes the fastest and is directly related to engine temp.

Maybe for the combustion process?..How is an EGT going to check a crank or connecting rod bearing?Or even a bad stator?Only thermal transfer to the surface will.

An EGT only measures how hot the combustion process is,its not an accurate measurement of internal engine temperatures.

Usually External temperature is close to water temperature. On the race car if the water temp gauge is reading 180. The Laser Temp will read very close to that on the head or the block. I assume Banshee will be the same way.

Edited by EvilBanshee

Maybe for the combustion process?..How is an EGT going to check a crank or connecting rod bearing?Or even a bad stator?Only thermal transfer to the surface will.

An EGT only measures how hot the combustion process is,its not an accurate measurement of internal engine temperatures.

The EGT is directly related to the operating temperature of the engine.

How are you going to measure the conecting rod, crank beaing, or piston head / dome temp of a running engine? Going to dirll holes and install inspection plugs so you can shine your IR gun on them?

The EGT is directly related to the operating temperature of the engine.

How are you going to measure the conecting rod, crank beaing, or piston head / dome temp of a running engine? Going to dirll holes and install inspection plugs so you can shine your IR gun on them?

No offense,but you obviously have no experience in using a IR gun.No need to drill holes,but a little experience in using one will show you how to identify abnormal hot spots around the engine.

The EGT can only tell you how efficient the combustion process is.It cannot tell you how poorly your cooling system is operating,if you have a scored cylinder thats building a hotspot or if a bearing is overheating due to contamination or lack of oil.

Thats the great thing about Aluminum,its ability to transfer heat quick and efficiently are its best characteristics,which make the IR gun a perfect diagnostic tool.

No offense,but you obviously have no experience in using a IR gun.No need to drill holes,but a little experience in using one will show you how to identify abnormal hot spots around the engine.

The EGT can only tell you how efficient the combustion process is.It cannot tell you how poorly your cooling system is operating,if you have a scored cylinder thats building a hotspot or if a bearing is overheating due to contamination or lack of oil.

Thats the great thing about Aluminum,its ability to transfer heat quick and efficiently are its best characteristics,which make the IR gun a perfect diagnostic tool.

No offense taken, I was being sarcastic.

Well then please explain the process of checking the temp of the conecting rod bearing with a IR gun 2-3 feet away (described as the best way by you)

the most effective and accurate measurements should be taken within 2-3 feet of the target.

No offense taken, I was being sarcastic.

Well then please explain the process of checking the temp of the conecting rod bearing with a IR gun 2-3 feet away (described as the best way by you)

I will not only explain,i will do it with detailed pictures.That way even the most remedial mechanics can understand.

And I said "WITHIN" 2-3 feet,Obviously the closer you get,the more accurate and the easier to isolate an area.Most people don't realize that a IR gun,much like a headlight has a focused beam,the farther you move away from the object,the wider the pattern.