Race gas question

shoopie

my bike has a pro design cool head with i think 19cc domes pushing 180 psi in each cylinder. being that race fuel in my area is like $13 per gallon of C7 i am wondering if there are any alternatives. i have heard people say just run pump gas and add octane booster but i am scared to try it. does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Edited by shoopie

180 per cylinder? personally I wouldn't even run it till you figure out what all is done to the motor, the compression ratio, & figure out what octane you need to run. if you want to stick with high octane pump gas changing out the domes should get you there. either way, you need more details before making the call.

i know whats done to the motor. i know i need to run 108 octane or better. im just wondering if there is a way to get 108 octane out of pump gas. i will probably end up getting some 21cc domes in the future and just running high octane pump gas

Edited by shoopie

One bottle of octane booster claims to raise the octane 5-10 points. Sounds pretty good right? Well what they dont tell you is that it takes 10 points to go up 1 octane number. Say from 90 to 91. How many bottles would it take to make 5 gallons 108 octane. Race fuel is a much cheaper alternative to boosting the octane of pump fuel. Octane boosters are a joke.

One bottle of octane booster claims to raise the octane 5-10 points. Sounds pretty good right? Well what they dont tell you is that it takes 10 points to go up 1 octane number. Say from 90 to 91. How many bottles would it take to make 5 gallons 108 octane. Race fuel is a much cheaper alternative to boosting the octane of pump fuel. Octane boosters are a joke.

Yeah, I saw a test once where they tested all the different add-in fluids for their true octane boosting power. That 108+ octane boost was tested and didn't do jack! They said that (By volume) the 108+ octane booster would have to have the explosive volatility of nitro glycerine to boost 5 gallons to the octane they are claiming with that one can. :blink:

As said earlier, make sure you measure your compression ratio, not cranking compression...to dictate your octane needs.

Can you find a distributor anywhere around you that could sell you a 55 gallon drum for cheap?

I love VP fuel...but it's just way too expensive.

For what it costs me to buy 3 or 4 cans of M1 methanol I can get a 55 gallon drum.

See if you can find an alternative source.

x2 you really should make sure the bike is set up for race fuel.. 180 cranking compression isn't enough info to justify needing race fuel. you need the correct compression ratio to run the stuff. you cant always trust the engine builders out there.. trust me, i learned the hard way. i didn't blow my bike up or anything or french-fry the rings.. but she runs GREAT on pump gas with adjusted timing.. but then again the guy that built the engine didn't even sync the carbs... if you find out you must run it. then stick with the turbo blue or aviation fuel.. forget all that additive shit. i also found race fuel seems to have a shorter shelf life than pump gas.. had my jets clog up on me a couple times probably from the dye they put in turbo blue.. who knows?? and steer clear of the oxygenated race fuel such as VP that's a whole different story and again more than likely NOT needed..