Banshee won't start

99navyta

Is there gas in the tank? Is the fuel valve turned on? Pull the fuel hose off of each carb to verify fuel running. If there is i would go through the carbs and either rebuild them or at least clean them.

are the spark plugs new or in good condition? (ie. not fouled) i would just spend the $5 to buy new plugs anyway.

check spark next. take a plug out and attach it to a wire. lay it on something to ground the threads. i used my T5 pipes as a perfect place to get a ground and be able to see it. kick it over and you should hear and see a little blue spark.

if you have fuel getting to the cylinders, good spark plugs, and power to them then i would check compression. not sure on you r setup what you would be looking for but someone will chime in soon enough.

Is there gas in the tank? Is the fuel valve turned on? Pull the fuel hose off of each carb to verify fuel running. If there is i would go through the carbs and either rebuild them or at least clean them.

are the spark plugs new or in good condition? (ie. not fouled) i would just spend the $5 to buy new plugs anyway.

check spark next. take a plug out and attach it to a wire. lay it on something to ground the threads. i used my T5 pipes as a perfect place to get a ground and be able to see it. kick it over and you should hear and see a little blue spark.

if you have fuel getting to the cylinders, good spark plugs, and power to them then i would check compression. not sure on you r setup what you would be looking for but someone will chime in soon enough.

It has fuel in the tank.. It has New plugs.. Its getting spark.. I just put a brand new .20 wiseco kit in and milled the head so it has plenty of compression..

The only thing I can think is that it came with an adjustable stator & plate installed and I thought it might not be right..

It does the same thing if I switch the plug wires on the cylinders, it will just fire once or twice and then nothing.

okay so it sounds like its fuel related. Check the easy stuff first. is there gas in the carb bowls? are the spark plugs wet at all after trying to start for a while? if not then you dont have fuel getting to the cylinders. whats the status on the carbs? have you touched them at all since the motor work was done?

if you have spark you should be getting some ignition out of it whether the timing was off or not. it might not run very good but i would think it would run.

check to see if the carbs are getting gas first. then if they are check to make sure they are squeaky clean. doesn't take much to plug a jet. are the slides in right?

okay so it sounds like its fuel related. Check the easy stuff first. is there gas in the carb bowls? are the spark plugs wet at all after trying to start for a while? if not then you dont have fuel getting to the cylinders. whats the status on the carbs? have you touched them at all since the motor work was done?

if you have spark you should be getting some ignition out of it whether the timing was off or not. it might not run very good but i would think it would run.

check to see if the carbs are getting gas first. then if they are check to make sure they are squeaky clean. doesn't take much to plug a jet. are the slides in right?

I assumed the carbs needed going through because the bike was blown up years ago and sat in a garage since, but I would think it would run for a few seconds by spraying fuel through the carbs.

I assumed the carbs needed going through because the bike was blown up years ago and sat in a garage since, but I would think it would run for a few seconds by spraying fuel through the carbs.

hace you tried pull starting it to get some real air flowing through the carb? thats helped me the last week to get it started after sitting for a wwhile. i would def get the carbs rebuilt and then see what that gives you. you might be able to get it to fire from pull starting but it might run bad. go through the carbs and i bet you'll get her running right pretty soon.

Sounds like something in the carbs!!! I had that happen on my yfz450 and my banshee, jus from sitting and not cleaning the carbs out.. the gas gums up in there, not letting the needles spin freely.. Its a quick fix if its nothing else.. Jus a lil carb cleaner once u take ur carbs out shuld do the job!!! Sounds like eveything else is good if it fires up for a few seconds.. jus not getting fuel..

And you might wanna check the pipes as well... crazy shit like that happens way to much!!!

Are the carb slides in right; the angled cut on the slide goes towards the air filter. Are you sure the bowls are on the right carbs; the one with the little brass "BB" goes on the choke side. Make sure the choke crossover tube is in place and not cracked-up between the carbs. Also if it has been setting for a while the oil on the air filters could jell-up and restrict the air flow too much. If the carbs are too far out of sync you could have some trouble stating.

A carb rebuild would be highly recommended if the bike has been setting for years, if the fuel isn't flowing through the carbs the jets gum-up, the rubber seals rot, and the fuel breaks down causing noncombustible particulates to gather in the passages and bowls. Though not the best idea, you could remove the bowls, place a catch tray under the carbs, and spray a healthy dose of carb/break cleaner into the back of the carbs while working the slides up and down. That should clean it out enough to confirm your issue.

It doesn't have the silencers on it just the expansion pipes. I'm going to rebuild the carbs and see if it helps.

Where is the best place to get a rebuild kit?

From one of the site sponsors...

F.A.S.T.=$14.95

http://www.farmandsa....asp?partid=188

Wildcard Racing=$15.00

http://stores.intuit...-Kit/Detail.bok

M&M ATV=$53.25

http://www.mmatvonli...products_id=286