Duneable override

bonbon

Well I've been duning the piss out of this overide all summer and one of the shift forks finally gave up on me. The other one is wore really bad and was close to busting. Also took most of the dog off of one gear.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Holy fucking yamabond batman.

IMG_0458.jpg

Broken dog.

IMG_0465.jpg

What it should look like.

IMG_0466.jpg

Edited by bonbon

Did you use a cocking gun to put that Yamahabond on?

Haha it looks like it. I didn't realize I had that big of a bead till I closed them up and it was squishing out like crazy. I knew it would look like shit when I split them. No leaks though so it's all good.

Who cut the trans?

Any idea on why it failed? Hard back loading or downshifting without clutch?

I think it was a WCR. I bought it secondhand. 1-5 N Down duneable. It was in great shape when I put it in this spring. Yes it got backloaded, probably even shifted down a time or two without the clutch. I would say it failed because I just rode the hell out of it. The fork broke when I was turning out of a wheelie on the face of a dune. Got stuck in about 4th and then would shift on it's own. Honestly I can't get mad about it the way I treated it. It always shifted up perfectly but would be tough to downshift about once a ride. I knew it had and issue and was waiting for it to break basically. I'll just put the stocker back in for now and abuse the shit out of it.

That is why I haven't done one. You hear guys say you can ride them just like a standard transmission. I look at a dunable over ride as a more forgiving over ride. It still shouldn't be back loaded.

You cut the back side of the dogs off at an angle it is going to try to kick back out of gear.

That is why I haven't done one. You hear guys say you can ride them just like a standard transmission. I look at a dunable over ride as a more forgiving over ride. It still shouldn't be back loaded.

You cut the back side of the dogs off at an angle it is going to try to kick back out of gear.

Yep. I'll be going back to my stock transmission for now. But man I love how easy climbing and dragging is when you just have touch the shifter and pop into the next gear.

you sure you didn't leave that atf in there too long, or force the shifter? i might be interested in the left-overs when you are done with it... :D

The ATF gets changed after every 3-4 rides. About once a ride, it would not want to shift down, so I would push on it (not hold it, just notice it won't downshift), pull the clutch, let it out and spin the tranny and it would then go down just fine. Shifting up was never a problem. When it let go I wasn't even changing gears, but coming out of a wheelie on the face of the dune. Probably happened when it came down, I'm sure I backloaded it then, and probably hard too.

Edited by bonbon

those forks were wearing for a while did you put new forks in when you assembles the motor

They were the forks out of a stock tranny I had. They were not worn much or anything. The fork that is broke only shows signs of normal wear. The front fork looks good too. I'm betting the one that is ground down happened after I broke it. I rode it 3 miles back to the pickup with it choosing between gears for me all the time. It was interesting. Glad the broken fork didn't decide to lock between shafts and crack the cases.

It is a smart idea to replace the forks every so often... so carnage doesn't take place.

In the end, you can beat the duneable. They shift so smooth.

I see that now. I love how it shifts and everything but not sure it is going to keep working with how I ride the damned thing. I'll just have to get used to pulling the clutch again.

• 1 year later...

hmm there is a way to have your cake adn eat it too...

so NO duneables cannot be rode :just like stock"

i have never seen a fork completely bust off thats excellent!! hang that one up on your "OOPS" wall and be proud!