Serval Cat

I know this is pretty common knowledge, and I'm not trying to steal your thunder Andy...:)

But if you buy or use domes on your own make sure they are not only cut for Big Bore, but for the proper piston angle as well.

My memory is fuzzy...but I believe banshee pistons are 11 degrees and blaster pistons are 9...is that correct Andy?

I believe the WSM pistons in 68 bore are banshee angle as well, not blaster.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

68 x 58 and soon the 68 x 54.

No other plans from what I was told by Andy right now.

Personally, I think once you get into 7 and 10 mil territory you should probably be at a cub, anywho...

I'm sure you could port it out and run cut domes to go bigger...but for all that work why?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to read these Serval Cat threads based on the feedback of another member on here who is a friend of mine.

Pretty much all my testing time and dyno time is with low-mid built motors. By no means when this setup was tested did it have any fair chance at really shining as a low-mid setup on the dyno. I feel the pipe selection, compression, and carburetion was a complete mis-match for this cylinder in the dyno test that was done. There really is a lot left on the table for this setup. I recommend getting this setup to AT LEAST 165 psi compression. Get a set of pro circuits on it, and put some 28mm carbs on it. Dont go over 30mm on the carbs. Ideally I would want to see a set of custom carbon tech mid tension reeds put on it, but I would settle for boyeseen carbon dual stage reeds as a backup. With the increased compression get the timing to +5 and get some 50/50 race fuel in it at minimum. Optimally I would run this setup at 175-180 psi compression on full race fuel with as much as +6 timing on it. I would also run a lightened flywheel on it. It would make more torque, accelerate faster, and only lose some holeshot inertia.

The dyno charts basically showed peak hp in the optimum operating range of a set of pro circuits. Those pipes like to peak at about 8,750rpm. They come on hard in the bottom. As a low mid motor, you want gobs of torque out of this thing, and thats going to translate to a fast accelerating motor, with good torque backup for difficult hill clims and hairy siuations.

Before this cylinder setup was available, we were already taking cub motors, re-sleeving them, and dropping all the ports down. We have two 7mill cub motors with dropped ports. The one with the 2 into 1 lectron 38mm, v-force reeds, and pt mids puts down 87hp. The one the guy let us do the dual 28mm TM's (bored to 30mm), carbon tech custom mid tension reeds, and pro circuits makes 94hp. Only difference is the pipes, reeds, and carbs. The pro circuit dual carb motor made more hp and torque everywhere compared to the pt mid, v-force, single carb motor. That motor also had about 1,500rpm of torque backup which is important when building a low-mid setup. That basically is what allos you to left off the throttle and re-apply after clearing an obstacle all the while not having to drop down a gear.

There is a lot left in that serval cat even in selecting better matched parts for what the port timing is setup at.

If you could dyno that setup and it pushes out decent stats, you sold me, and I am big time anti-aftermarket cylinder. Nothing in aftermarket cylinders up to this point ever benefited the mx, trails, or low-mid guys without extensive re-working and spending a bunch of cash.

That is exactly why this cylinder was born. Trying to accommodate for what i feel is possibly a bigger (yet less niche) portion of the market.

Our setup was basically what we had laying around to get it running and tested for Calvin. We honestly have been so busy with other builds that doing more test just haven't been in the cards. We set it up on pump gas (91) because we felt that will be the most reasonable setup for the average guy. This is in no way what we feel like is the best setup for this motor, but like the title of this thread says, "Round 1".

We are going to do more testing in the future all we need is time. Honestly we are not sure what pipe carb combo is going to work the best yet only testing will tell.