Building vs. Buying Built

az_dude

Hey guys, I've had my banshee for over a year and i've done a couple of bolt ons here and there but nothing extreme. I was contemplating on tearing it all down and building me a dune/drag bike a while back but I also enjoy riding around and beating it up some, without having to worry about breaking an expensive engine or part you know? Well work has slowed down a bit and the whole project will take the back seat for now but once it picks up I want to start something so I thought buying another banshee and build it and keep my other banshee to ride everywhere else. I found one on craigs with a good title for 1250. Pretty good deal cause the bike runs and it has aftermarket pipes. I've priced engine parts, suspension, tuning and all that good stuff and as all of you guys now it's not cheap. I've also seen nice built banshees for 4-5 grand. So I think buying built is cheaper but I also like the fact of building my own stuff too. What do you guys think? Sorry for the long ass story!

buying a built one would be cheaper cause you can never get what you put into these things back out of them. but building your own you know everything about the bike and know that the only abuse it has seen is from you. which i think is more rewarding

buying a built one would be cheaper cause you can never get what you put into these things back out of them. but building your own you know everything about the bike and know that the only abuse it has seen is from you. which i think is more rewarding

cough cough. when you horse trade like i did you can build cheaper than you could buy. for instance i just built a 421 cub for 700 bucks out of my own hard earned money and wouldn't have been that much if i wasn't so impatient....

You can buy a complete banshee cheaper than building one. If your wanting another machine. The down side is you dont know what kind of work has been done. Just cause you pay for a good looking machine doesnt mean you actually get one. Some people have no clue on how to build an engine.

You could always turn yours in to a dune machine. 4mill crank, dune ported cylinders, cpi pipes, PWK 333 carbs, +4 swing arm. It would be a fun general riding machine. If your going to build more twards a drag banshee then you should probably start out fresh with a frame and build up from there. You wont be using much from a complete banshee.

Where are u located? Im kicking around the idea of selling mine to build another one. Brand new ground up 4mill. Has one season on it. Documented the whole build here in the images section. Changed some things since then. Shoot me a pm if you want to chat and Ill help you out either way.

it always costs me more to build an engine, but to me building it is half the fun.

id never buy a built engine.

X2 on this, plus its nice to have your own shee and what I mean is I wouldnt want to hear aint that this person or that persons shee. Build your own and its your never someone elses.

I guess it depends on the person. I wouldn't hesitate buying a built bike if I knew all the specs on it, ie: builder, portwork, internal componets. etc.. Even if you buy a built bike your still going to want to add something to it to make it your own. At the very least I would buy something that already has good suspension on it. Buying good quality shocks and a arms from scratch will cost you some serious $$$$$.

• 2 weeks later...

For me building it is almost as fun as riding it. But I would def jump on a good deal when i see it. Ive already built my first one i didnt even have it for a year and totally redid everthing. started off as mods here and there then a completly rebuilt once i decided to go 4 mill

here is a pic of when i first got her

Picture033.jpg

Edited by robert0762