Intake gaskets leak and boots

I am doing my leakdown and have several airleaks around gaskets and where the bolts mount the intake boot. Is there supposed to be washers there because air is seaping around the bolt? Previous mechanic had 2 gaskets where boot meets reed cage and had applied what looks like RTV grey. I took them off and scraped it down. Would it hurt when installing the new gaskets to use some more RTV? I only had 2 new gaskets to use and didn't see any leaks around the new gaskets. Need to order some more and try again. All gaskets the same for all reeds and cages?

Ya I am glad I took the time to do the pressure check. I get these leaks taken care of and then hopefully i'll be good to go. If I never did the check though i'd be rebuilding and then riding with airleaks. Thx.

I am not sure of the reason for the double gaskets. Maybe check for warping of the manifolds. One trick I have used that works very well is to smear a coating of Yamabond (I actually used ThreeBond 1104) INTO the intake gaskets. In other words squirt some onto your thumb and forefinger and rub it into the paper gasket. let it set up and it works almost like a gasket coated with sealer. it is also easier to remove as well.

I am definitely going to use some 3 bond on the gaskets when I get the new ones and put them on. Is there supposed to be washers behind the bolts? It could just be leaking around the gasket and coming through the bolt head also I guess. Probably why I was having such a hard time getting it to run right before tear down. It was acting like it had an air leak. Imagine that? :rolleyes: