vitos 421 won't rev on top end

IDAHOSHEE

Looking for some help, just built a Vito's 421, 20cc domes, 160 lbs compression,shearer in frams, 155 main jets in new 39mm kein pwk's. runs great until it reaches higher rpm's then seems to cut out and sputter, falls flat on it's face. Have tried going both directions with jetting does not change the cutting out. Have tried timing from 0 to 7 deg advanced, does not change the problem. Any advice at this point would sure help.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for some help, just built a Vito's 421, 20cc domes, 160 lbs compression,shearer in frams, 155 main jets in new 39mm kein pwk's. runs great until it reaches higher rpm's then seems to cut out and sputter, falls flat on it's face. Have tried going both directions with jetting does not change the cutting out. Have tried timing from 0 to 7 deg advanced, does not change the problem. Any advice at this point would sure help.

Is this you Jason?

I had the same problem when I built my 4 mil, it was the pick up coil gap like mentioned above, and make sure the screw on caps on top of your spark plugs are tight, they rattle loose after time.

Edited by SonOfSand

I would have guess around a 160 main. You might check the pickup coil gap. Maybe some one who has experiance running those cylinders will chime in.

Are they the sleeved stock cylinders, or the sleeper new casting cylinders.

They are the new castings. Thanks for the ideas. I am going to pull the cover tonight to check the air gap. Thought I was on the mark but who knows.

They are the new castings. Thanks for the ideas. I am going to pull the cover tonight to check the air gap. Thought I was on the mark but who knows.

I just finished my 421 from vito's, its been running like shit kinda as well. But i have the stock carbs on it. Tonight im gunna put the 34mill's on it. I think all it needs is some tuning with the jets. time will tell.

my vitos 421 runs best with about + 8 deg on the timing plate,

I too run the Vitos 421 and had the same problem .It got worse after i went on a trail ride on a dusty day.By the end of the day it would not rev past 3/4 throttle without sputter and coughing.Filter and outerwear were dirty.I dropped the main 1 size and cleaned the filter.It has been running great ever since.I run 34pjs and my mains are at 150.

I too run the Vitos 421 and had the same problem .It got worse after i went on a trail ride on a dusty day.By the end of the day it would not rev past 3/4 throttle without sputter and coughing.Filter and outerwear were dirty.I dropped the main 1 size and cleaned the filter.It has been running great ever since.I run 34pjs and my mains are at 150.

Does she pull pretty hard?? i have a similar set up to yours. Im just waiting for some jets to come in.