opions on the best oil

one of your responses started with "ive never tried klotz...but.."

what others havnt you tried?

in order to make such a bold statement as " amsoil (which type?) is by far the best of the best", you should at least try all the other top competing brands, especially klotz oils. before making such a statement.

also, seeing as your only reason for amsoil being the best of the best, was that it didnt gum up powervalves as bad as some of the other oils you have tried, i wouldnt consider that reason enough to run it in our banshees... 99% of us dont have powervalves.

i also think the whole "ams oil dealer" thing is a joke.

i try to explain that to friends about their whole little dealer thing and why some people will recommend it till theyre blue in the face.. our local shop stopped carrying klotz, and now only sells ams oil. his reasoning when i asked him why...? "its cheaper" ... oh ok great, ill take 6 bottles! i mean cmon.. REALLY??

... i said "oh..." followed by a long pause, and walked out..

Well said...

Amsoil has never proved anything to me burning with fuel or used in the transmission that any other oil can't do.

If you're getting fouled plugs or carbon build up, it's one of two things...or a combo of them.

The motor is in poor tune or poor shape.

That's it. Type of oil is rarely a problem, lack of it sure is though.

Tests were done to prove more oil equals more HP, all the way up to 16:1, with negligible results or gains after that.

Kinda makes you wonder what the amsoil folks are smoking (or not smoking....) with their 50:1 and 100:1 recommendations for their products.

I like Klotz. Never failed me in a gas or alky motor, and like fouledout said, you can get it fairly easily and it's reasonably priced.

For my trans, I use whatever ATF Type F the store has, cheaper is better!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend of mine used to use those 100:1 ams oil tear open packets for mix for his wackers and blowers.

the type you tear open like a packet of salad dressing from a fast food store, then hope you can squeeze it all out like a tube of toothpaste.. i was dumb founded.. i thought he was joking when he said he ran 100:1..

"our oil is so good, you hardly need any" , what a horrible marketing gimmick

one of your responses started with "ive never tried klotz...but.."

what others havnt you tried?

in order to make such a bold statement as " amsoil (which type?) is by far the best of the best", you should at least try all the other top competing brands, especially klotz oils. before making such a statement.

also, seeing as your only reason for amsoil being the best of the best, was that it didnt gum up powervalves as bad as some of the other oils you have tried, i wouldnt consider that reason enough to run it in our banshees... 99% of us dont have powervalves.

i also think the whole "ams oil dealer" thing is a joke.

i try to explain that to friends about their whole little dealer thing and why some people will recommend it till theyre blue in the face.. our local shop stopped carrying klotz, and now only sells ams oil. his reasoning when i asked him why...? "its cheaper" ... oh ok great, ill take 6 bottles! i mean cmon.. REALLY??

... i said "oh..." followed by a long pause, and walked out..

Iv tried Yamaha Lube, Shell Synthetic, Polaris Premium, Castrol, Artcic Cat Synthetic, and a few more. Ams Oil intercepter and Dominator has blown all the other brands outta the water by far with its Clean burn. Mind you a few of my friends run Klotz and they still foul plugs and their power valves are covered in Gunk and Carbon.

Around where im from Klotz is more expensive by about 3 bucks per Liter. I really dont care what the exhuast smells like. So i still stand with my comment on how its" the best of the best" Anyone who rides snowmobiles and does their own maintence will agree its the best. It doesnt really show when you use it in a banshee engine.

Well said...

Amsoil has never proved anything to me burning with fuel or used in the transmission that any other oil can't do.

If you're getting fouled plugs or carbon build up, it's one of two things...or a combo of them.

Tests were done to prove more oil equals more HP, all the way up to 16:1, with negligible results or gains after that.

Kinda makes you wonder what the amsoil folks are smoking (or not smoking....) with their 50:1 and 100:1 recommendations for their products.

I like Klotz. Never failed me in a gas or alky motor, and like fouledout said, you can get it fairly easily and it's reasonably priced.

Actually in my drag car we switch from Valvoline oil from engine to rear end to Ams oil and the car went 3mph and 2 tenths faster in the quarter then it ever has in its life time. coinsidence??.. i think not...

Your also wrong about the carbon build up is due to a shitty tune or the engine is poor, well i went from Shell Synthetic when i first bought it and had serous carbon build up, to ams oild and its was clean as a whistle. i did nothing eles to the motor. The oil brand was my only change.

Edited by EvilBanshee

Here's how I'm going to leave this.

A. 100% total coincidence.

B. You're full of Shit.

"Actually in my drag car we switch from Valvoline oil from engine to rear end to Ams oil and the car went 3mph and 2 tenths faster in the quarter then it ever has in its life time. coinsidence??.. i think not..."

If you put that in English I might give you a second thought.

I had to read that about 4 times and I'm still not sure what you're talking about.

I've used all kinds of different oil in big motors, small motors, one, two, three and four lung motors. Stock cars and cars we built with turbo, NOS, etc.

Two stroke or four...you're 100% full of it if you think the oil was at fault for carbon, deposits, etc.

Period.

Argue that till you're blue in the face...I really don't care. Is it bad oil? No. Is it the best? No. Period....you can drink their cool aide all you want...but that's all it is. Marketing, so called "dealer pricing" and that's it.

Show me a NASCAR cup team, Formula 1 team or an NHRA Top Fuel team that runs it.

Thank you...

Do me a favor..

Ask these skilled engineers who have all this research, tools and knowledge at their disposal why they can't make an oil that mixes with methanol.

Please reply when you have a good, solid answer for that one.

I realize NHRA top fuel, Nascar Cup cars and Formula 1 is a stretch for backyard marketing, but methanol? C'mon...lots of common joes run it.

They can't even make an oil that mixes with it?

Well said...

What ratio do you run your premix dajogejr?

Here's how I'm going to leave this.

A. 100% total coincidence.

B. You're full of Shit.

"Actually in my drag car we switch from Valvoline oil from engine to rear end to Ams oil and the car went 3mph and 2 tenths faster in the quarter then it ever has in its life time. coinsidence??.. i think not..."

I had to read that about 4 times and I'm still not sure what you're talking about.

I've used all kinds of different oil in big motors, small motors, one, two, three and four lung motors. Stock cars and cars we built with turbo, NOS, etc.

Two stroke or four...you're 100% full of it if you think the oil was at fault for carbon, deposits, etc.

Period.

Argue that till you're blue in the face...I really don't care. Is it bad oil? No. Is it the best? No. Period....you can drink their cool aide all you want...but that's all it is. Marketing, so called "dealer pricing" and that's it.

Show me a NASCAR cup team, Formula 1 team or an NHRA Top Fuel team that runs it.

Thank you...

No need to start fighting man, freedom of speech. But i was serious about the 3MPH and 2 tenths :evil::evil:

Edited by EvilBanshee

Actually in my drag car we switch from Valvoline oil from engine to rear end to Ams oil and the car went 3mph and 2 tenths faster in the quarter then it ever has in its life time. coinsidence??.. i think not...

So is the car running the same time since then.

Daj, i think he ment this.

"Actually in my drag car we switch from Valvoline oil, from engine to rear end, to Ams oil and the car went 3mph and 2 tenths faster in the quarter then it ever has in its life time. coinsidence??.. i think not..."

Now it makes scene.

and, i switched from running either quakerstate, or chevron in everything to penzoil synthetic and noticed less gum, smoother power, and less blow-by...so does that mean penzoil makes the best oil? no.....i just like buying it everywhere i want. i like more detergents, pre-filtered, friction modifiers, oh and syn. base.......i shit you not, i can throw some dye in it and you wouldn't tell the difference with amsoil, or any other "god" oil in the same class. the 3mph, etc from switching is probably just a byproduct of switching to what property the engine needed more, like less drag on the pistons, or less hydraulic resistance in the oil system, like bearings/pump, etc. or the higher viscosity helped with piston seal. who knows what it could've been. not all 1o-40, 0-20, 30w, or whatever class oil are actually the same in real performance, so even in the same class, if you switch from a 15-40 delo400, it might be almost the same as a quakerstate 10-40 high mileage oil in several properties. eh, I'm done ranting, but you really need independent test results comparing actual viscosities, burn-off, crush, etc....

What ratio do you run your premix dajogejr?

For my methanol bike, 28:1 with SuperTechniplate. I used to use Benoil until we went ice racing, Benoil is not meant for colder applications as it'll separate from the fuel. I switched to Super Tech and just never switched back.

For my purge gas/oil I use supertechniplate OR Klotz Uplon Lube @ 20:1, and I use regular fuel (87 octane)

I can tell you it is critical to use the a methanol compatible two stroke oil with your purge fuel because if not, it will gum up your carb like no tomorrow and leave a nice film..

For pump gas bikes I like Klotz R50, Supertechniplate or Maxima Super M mixed at 32:1.

For race fuel bikes I like the same oil, mixed at 40:1.

I used to use Golden Spectro in the day too, but...it comes in a 12 ounce bottle or something funny like that where most oil comes in 16 or 32 oz bottles. I never really had an issue with it.

I've had to run to Walmart, Kmart or the local gas station in a pinch and get their cheapo, no name two stroke oil (for gas bikes, NOT methanol bikes) and I ran their oil without issues.

For my methanol bike, 28:1 with SuperTechniplate. I used to use Benoil until we went ice racing, Benoil is not meant for colder applications as it'll separate from the fuel. I switched to Super Tech and just never switched back.

For my purge gas/oil I use supertechniplate OR Klotz Uplon Lube @ 20:1, and I use regular fuel (87 octane)

I can tell you it is critical to use the a methanol compatible two stroke oil with your purge fuel because if not, it will gum up your carb like no tomorrow and leave a nice film..

For pump gas bikes I like Klotz R50, Supertechniplate or Maxima Super M mixed at 32:1.

For race fuel bikes I like the same oil, mixed at 40:1.

I used to use Golden Spectro in the day too, but...it comes in a 12 ounce bottle or something funny like that where most oil comes in 16 or 32 oz bottles. I never really had an issue with it.

I've had to run to Walmart, Kmart or the local gas station in a pinch and get their cheapo, no name two stroke oil (for gas bikes, NOT methanol bikes) and I ran their oil without issues.

Thanks for the info once again dajo!

Wal-mart brand!!! If it makes u feel better and have piece of mind you pay $9-$12 for oil keep doin it. Pulled my top end apart the other day and ive never seen my crank that well lubricated or my cylinder walls that well lubricated for that matter. Im running that cheapo wal-mart brand stuff. I used to run all sorts of high dollar shit and got tired of paying that kinda money for absolutley nothing. Im running my ratio at 40:1. 90% of the time guys run the oil their dad ran and what his dad told him to run. Basically all oil is the same shit in my opinion, its just whoever can win in the marketing competition.

Basically all oil is the same shit in my opinion, its just whoever can win in the marketing competition.

bansheeboy44, by no means am I the expert, I can only base my thoughts and practices on my own experiences.

Kickstart...amen. Couple the marketing with the "Anyone with a pulse" is a dealer mentality....and you get scamsoil....