To chrome or not to chrome...

Hey everyone, I just got a quick question for y'all, I was looking on the Duncan racing website and I'm really interested in their pipes, and everything they sell in general. Anyways, my question is about the triple plate chroming or then natural finish. Is the chroming really worth it? I'm top notch on maintaining my quad and I don't let anything slide, but does the chrome flake off after use? does it hold up to daily abuse or is it more for show and sine bikes?

Saving 200 bucks sounds great for more mods, but the chrome would be well worth it if it can hold up! I don't mind the look of the natural finish because it looks like a project bike.

So yeah, if it holds up great, thanks.

Thanks man, no doubt about it that DRI is a very reputable company! I was just curious if its worth paying for it. Also, what are the advantages of chroming? If I didn't chrome would there be a down fall?

Thanks man, no doubt about it that DRI is a very reputable company! I was just curious if its worth paying for it. Also, what are the advantages of chroming? If I didn't chrome would there be a down fall?

Duncan Racing used to be on the top of their game. There are a few things that they do really well, such as their pipes. There are also quite a few things they do that aren't the greatest. The pipes are very pricey, but lots of people love them. As for the advantages and disadvantages of chrome, there really aren't any. Just looks is the only thing, really. Some might argue that chrome dissipates heat faster, or the opposite.

Duncan Racing used to be on the top of their game. There are a few things that they do really well, such as their pipes. There are also quite a few things they do that aren't the greatest. The pipes are very pricey, but lots of people love them. As for the advantages and disadvantages of chrome, there really aren't any. Just looks is the only thing, really. Some might argue that chrome dissipates heat faster, or the opposite.

Thanks a lot man, I'm leaning towards more of the chrome now, but it all boils down to how much I have for a pipe when the time comes.

Now 'aint that awful convincing! Chrome it is!!

I have a set of Chrome Paul Turner Mids...the chrome did flake in some spots...but i did not buy new and dont know if it was triple plated either....they still looks real nice even with some flaking on the back side that u dont see of my pipes.....just throwin that out there....it does happen..but i did not care for them since birth so the marble bag before could have taken crap care ofthem

Now 'aint that awful convincing! Chrome it is!!

That is the biggest advantage of chrome over bare pipes. When you get your pipes bran new shoot some white 1200 or 1500 deg paint down the throats of the pipe. It will help keep the pipes from turing blue.

Chrome looks nicer longer than bare, or painted, or powdercoated pipes. But eventually the chrome will turn blue, or rust, or flake off, and then what do you do? I know of NOBODY that will chrome or rechrome used pipes because of all the carbon or soot inside the pipe contaminates up the chomer's tanks. My recomendation is buy them bare and have them ceramic coated in the color of your choice.

The term triple plated gets thrown around as if it somehow the best kind of chrome when it is actually the industry standard. It simply means that there are a combination of three layers usually consisting of two nickel and one very small layer of chrome.

Copied this from a chroming forum:

The most important issue for durable chrome plating for outdoor exposure such as on a vehicle is that it should have at least two layers of nickel plating before the chrome: namely semi-bright nickel followed by bright nickel. The reason for this involves galvanic corrosion issues. The bright nickel is anodic to the semi-bright nickel, and sacrificially protects it, spreading the corrosion forces laterally instead of allowing them to penetrate through to the steel. OEMs demand very close control of this factor, and there is a test (the Chrysler developed STEP test) which large shops run daily to insure the right potentials. Careful control of this issue is probably the principal reason that today's chrome plating greatly outlasts the chrome plating of earlier times. If a restoration shop offers only single layer nickel plating, they must apply it really really heavy if corrosion resistance is to be guaranteed.

Experts argue whether copper plating provides any additional corrosion resistance at all, but with or without copper plating, chrome on top of a single thin layer of nickel will not hold up to the severe exposure of a vehicle! Industry professionals call the two layers of nickel "duplex nickel plating", and that would be a much better term to use than "triple chrome" and such.

yes all pipes will lose color at the head its just the exhaust tenp most mint pipes on here are rode a couple times a year the show chrome is very nice but it will turn colors over time

So any pipe will turn blue after lots of use?

My rockets are going on 7 years old and they have no blue color what so ever on them even right at the exhaust flanges.

The chrome is still deep and shiny as always.

So we will see.

My rockets are going on 7 years old and they have no blue color what so ever on them even right at the exhaust flanges.

The chrome is still deep and shiny as always.

So we will see.

it must be the weather that keeps the pipes nice tell your gov to give me my birth cirtificate back fuckin theaves