best shocks for the money?

ks04limited

Works dual rates for sure. Best bang for the buck. I love them. I've got a complete set of Elkas on my bike and put my old works on the wife's bike and the Elka's are worth every penny....but the Works are the best for the money. Get Works dual rates set up for your weight and A-arm length and you'll be very happy. Don't buy them used. They are like Bic lighters. They are cheap and work great and when it's time to rebuild them....list them on Ebay like everybody else and go buy another new set. B)

They are like Bic lighters. They are cheap and work great

bic lighters are expensive as hell! especially if you buy them in singles at a gas station, $2 each around here!!

there is no substitute for a bic though, they are just the best, by far

i have a pair of works triple rate with rezzies and i am totally happy with them, for the money there is no way to complain, they work great

Best shocks for the money depends on the rider.

How much is the quad ridden?

How hard?

What type of terrain? All open flat stuff or bumpy, crazy rutted out rocky roots bulging out, or desert threats.

Works though I never recomend them can be the best bang for your buvk but only IMO For a weekend warrior that doesnt push the quad that hard, doesnt really take big jumps ect.. like mentioned above Works will do better than stock.

Weekend warroirs that know how to ride and wants a set of shocks that can deal with their hard fast paced riding Elka E36's

Someone who rides hard and pushes and has access to their bike 24/7 365 You might want to start looking at the Piggyback edition ELKA Or Axis Then Comp/Rebound the list goes on.

It all comes down to what you really need. If you need to go with the best you can always save and ride stock for a couple months like I did.

Works dual rates for sure. Best bang for the buck. I love them. I've got a complete set of Elkas on my bike and put my old works on the wife's bike and the Elka's are worth every penny....but the Works are the best for the money. Get Works dual rates set up for your weight and A-arm length and you'll be very happy. Don't buy them used. They are like Bic lighters. They are cheap and work great and when it's time to rebuild them....list them on Ebay like everybody else and go buy another new set. B)

or u could send it to matt... and have him redo ... he does awesome work... made my rear works ride like a champ... use to for for bilstein... making custom shit.... heard of the black hawk?... most shocks built for atvs are over marketed... i mean triple rate on a atv... gtfo... u have half inch on short shaft ...if that ... than it bottoms out... might as well go duals... rezis? 90% never run there shit that hard... to even need a razi...rezi holds more oil.. and keeps shocks from fatigue ...or going mushy....but keep readin dirt wheels and dumpin that cash on them bad ass triple rates wit the rezis... cus ur hardcore and u need it!! :yank:

DiSkOe*1

Alright, I feel like I could step in here... I just had the opportunity to open up an Axis MX rear shock today, side by side with an Elka Stage 3, and last week I rebuilt Eric's Works Quadstar Rear.

Works is all around an excellent shock. They use a nitrogen "bladder" rather than using an IFP (internal floating piston, or dividing piston) in the reservoir.

Axis and Elka are damn near IDENTICAL shocks in every aspect. Piston design, IFP design, valving setup, and seal heads. Elka and Axis mimic their setup off of 95% of high end off road shocks, such as Fox, and Bilstein. Neither one of them do anything out of the ordinary. The fact of the matter is, you can get an awesome ride out of just about any shock. If it is set up right, it can ride like a Cadillac. Axis, TCS, and Elka are almost identical shocks. VERY minor differences that do not affect the way the shock handles. Works shocks will be MORE than sufficient for 95% of us. Serious competitors might want to consider an axis, elka, or TCS. Overall seal tolerances is what makes the price difference in shocks. Works have a much more "lenient" seal tolerance than elka, axis, or TCS. Works shocks were designed to be economical. They were never designed as a high end shock, and shouldn't be treated as such. They will be better than any stock shock, ten fold. The average rider won't be able to tell the difference between a properly set up works dual rate, and a properly set up elka or axis dual rate.

Eric is correct in the fact that triple rates are worthless on ATVs. Take a look at your spring sliders... let me know what the difference between the middle spring and top spring slider is. If it is any less than 1.5", that middle spring is worthless. It is a selling point. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as the comment about selling them on ebay and buying new, is terrible advice. Works are so economical to rebuild that it would make no sense whatsoever to buy new ones. For about 100 bucks out the door, each, those shocks will be brand new. When I rebuild a shock, I replace EVERY part that sees any wear, and if necessary, hone the body within spec, down to 3500 grit.

In conclusion, works are a very viable option for the everyday rec rider. If you are going to be doing some serious jumping, or very hard riding, consider picking up a set of Elka, Axis, or TCS's. My opinions are based solely on what I see inside the shocks... I have had my hands in THOUSANDS of shocks, and I can tell you from experience, a properly set up shock no matter how expensive, will be 100x better than the stockers. The price of the shock doesn't always mean you are getting a better shock. Axis and TCS are 99.9% the same as Elka. If you want the Elka name, more power to you, but I think there are better options out there for the 99% of people. Of course, if you can get a set of Elka's for the same price as TCS's or Axis... jump on it. They are still one of the best shocks money can buy... but in no way are they superior to Axis or TCS.

Disclaimer... I do not currently own ANY of the above mentioned shocks. I HAVE owned all of the above at one point, and have rebuilt/revalved more than I care to count.

I agree completely with everything you just said. :notworthy: My comment about "when they need to be re-built, just list them on Ebay and buy new" Was really to point out that almost all the used Works shocks are trashed when they go up for sale, and finding someone to properly re-build a shock is very hard to do. Many shops just put new seals and oil in them and tell you they are totaly re-built. Many people can't tell a shock is blown untill they remove it from the bike and get the spring off. To have ELKA re-build my dune editions was $144 each+ shipping. The parts for the works are less than $50. I think your right that works will fill the needs of 90% of the riders out there. (We'd all like to think we are that 10%) ;) But seriously, if your still running cheap tires or factory rims, stock A-arms, stock swingarms....why over buy on the shocks? When I see high dollar triple rate shocks with resiz's on the front and a stock shock on the rear, I always wonder WTF? Why not buy cheaper models and get them matched all around. My wife's last bike (a 400EX) came with the PEP triple rates with remote rezis' on the front and a totaly stock rear....never felt right when jumping and one way or another you could get bucked off if the bike hit just right. My wife's bike has my old works dual rates (no rezi's) and a modded stock rear done by "House of Horsepower" and with a +6 rear swingarm and +2 A-arms. I ride her bike in woods, trails and MX tracks and it's her dune bike. I think it jumps better than it did with the stock gear and a stock swingarm.

I actually prefer the feedback and lack of body roll from her WORKS fronts compared to my ELKAS.

If your running stock....try anything. Stockers are scary bad. :D

Edited by WINDYCITYJOHN400

I have ridden a few different suspension setups, elka pep works and all sorts of different a-arms brands, both standard and long travel.

I really think that works are a good shock, works just rebuilt my front works G series with rezzis and my bike absorbs everything, although i do not jump this bike, but i have in the past before i started stretching it out.

My bike rides and handles great, are there better shock, of course.

But for a weekend warrior/ someone who isnt riding 300 days out of the year or hitting 100ft jumps a set of works wouldnt be regretful decision.

just my .2cents

I have ridden a few different suspension setups, elka pep works and all sorts of different a-arms brands, both standard and long travel.

I really think that works are a good shock, works just rebuilt my front works G series with rezzis and my bike absorbs everything, although i do not jump this bike, but i have in the past before i started stretching it out.

My bike rides and handles great, are there better shock, of course.

But for a weekend warrior/ someone who isnt riding 300 days out of the year or hitting 100ft jumps a set of works wouldnt be regretful decision.

just my .2cents

The G-series are VERY good shocks. They are Works' answer to Axis, Elka, and TCS. Very similar design with an IFP, instead of a nitrogen bladder. CNC machined piston, rather than a cast, and 5/8" shaft. Works really did a good job building that shock. :cheers: