Normal Operating Temperature

I believe my banshee is overheating a bit. It likes to spit coolant now. I just rebuilt the bike. I went 30 over. I plan on doing a plug chop to see if i am overheating due to lean condition. Id like to know what normal operating temperature is so i know my radiator cap isn't just crapping out. I also heard if your head isnt torqued right, it can put pressure on the coolant system and make it appear to overheat. I have a metal water pump so i doubt its that as well...

It didnt overheat before the rebuild. Could that bit of engine size change cause a lean condition or is there truth behind the head gasket leaking and putting pressure on the radiator system?

Either Way, i still need that Normal operating temperature:)

Thanks Guys

Just because a bike spits coolant out, doesn't mean it is overheating. There are also a few things that need to be checked if you feel it is not getting hot. Like if the radiator cap is functioning properly. Regardless of what everyone thinks, the radiator overflow bottle is a recovery tank, and coolant that is spit into it, will get sucked back into the radiator when the bike cools off a bit. Normal running temps for a banshee are usually considered 175-190 degrees. at 205 degrees the bike gets into the danger zone and should be ran at high speed, low rpm to be cooled off.

Edited by Snopczynski

Regardless of what everyone thinks, the radiator overflow bottle is a recovery tank, and coolant that is spit into it, will get sucked back into the radiator when the bike cools off a bit.

You would think anybody with a high school education that included a science class or two would realize that.

As coolant is heated it expands. When it cools down it contracts. So if the coolant catch can has liquid in it how is it not going to pull coolant back in to the radiator as it cools down?

You would think anybody with a high school education that included a science class or two would realize that.

As coolant is heated it expands. When it cools down it contracts. So if the coolant catch can has liquid in it how is it not going to pull coolant back in to the radiator as it cools down?

A few months ago I had some ASSkuter on here trying to tell me the overflow bottle was a catch can and not a recovery tank.