minor piston pitting?

I have about 8 hours on a top end and I had a coolant leak. I pulled my head off and there is very tiny pits, there was also a nice coating of carbon, nothing to replace the pistons over but I dont want any further damage. my jets are 310 mains, 27.5 pilots, needle middle position, are the tiny pits from coolant possibly? also whats the carbon build up from, the mix?

I have about 8 hours on a top end and I had a coolant leak. I pulled my head off and there is very tiny pits, there was also a nice coating of carbon, nothing to replace the pistons over but I dont want any further damage. my jets are 310 mains, 27.5 pilots, needle middle position, are the tiny pits from coolant possibly? also whats the carbon build up from, the mix?

Coolant in the combustion chamber is almost as bad as an air leak. It will lean out and detonate - leading the pitting you decribe. THe carbon is just from running it rich, not necessarily from the oil. No big deal. Just lightly smooth out any sharp edges on the pitted piston and dome and you should be fine.

Thanks I cleaned it up and put the new gasket on. Now a small amount of coolant seeps out directly in the Front of both cylinders! It did this last time then stopped, what's the best way to be sure its not getting in the cylinders? I'm not smelling the full klotz smell but maybe its clearing out, I only ran it around the house

Thanks I cleaned it up and put the new gasket on. Now a small amount of coolant seeps out directly in the Front of both cylinders! It did this last time then stopped, what's the best way to be sure its not getting in the cylinders? I'm not smelling the full klotz smell but maybe its clearing out, I only ran it around the house

you should do a leakdown test on your motor....it will help rule out the possibility of a gasket leaking. there's a sticky on how to build the leakdown tester.....your motor needs to hold 6psi for 6 minutes without dropping the pressure.

I suppose I better to be on the safe side

you should do a leakdown test on your motor....it will help rule out the possibility of a gasket leaking. there's a sticky on how to build the leakdown tester.....your motor needs to hold 6psi for 6 minutes without dropping the pressure.

Coolant in the combustion chamber is almost as bad as an air leak. It will lean out and detonate - leading the pitting you decribe. THe carbon is just from running it rich, not necessarily from the oil. No big deal. Just lightly smooth out any sharp edges on the pitted piston and dome and you should be fine.

That and coolant doesnt compress like air. So it raises your compression,wich can also cause detonation.

Also - remove the radiator cap when pressure testing. If it leaks into the cooling system, it could still hold pressure if the cap is on.

I think I'm gonna try that, it passed the leak test but its smoking from both exausts still and doesn't rev strong, just breaks up. I also did a compression test and for 117 on both, only thing is that my gauge has that extension that screws in to the head, I've heard that gives you a lower reading then the actual compression