Teardown Trouble

I'm tearing into my Banshee and I can't get the wristpins to come loose. This bike is on a stock build so that might be part of it. I've got the clips out and I've been tapping on them with a flat punch and I got one to move a little bit so they aren't seized to the rod or anything. The bike ran good before just a little low on compression. The wristpins are stuck in the piston not the rod. I'm afraid to get very rough with them because there isn't really any way to hold the rod to keep pressure off the bottom rod bearing. Anyway I'm hoping somebody can give me a tip or something to get this done. Maybe give me an idea of how rough I can get with them. I've been on this site and noticed there is a lot of knowledge here.

I'm tearing into my Banshee and I can't get the wristpins to come loose. This bike is on a stock build so that might be part of it. I've got the clips out and I've been tapping on them with a flat punch and I got one to move a little bit so they aren't seized to the rod or anything. The bike ran good before just a little low on compression. The wristpins are stuck in the piston not the rod. I'm afraid to get very rough with them because there isn't really any way to hold the rod to keep pressure off the bottom rod bearing. Anyway I'm hoping somebody can give me a tip or something to get this done. Maybe give me an idea of how rough I can get with them. I've been on this site and noticed there is a lot of knowledge here.

Just realized I posted in the wrong section. My bad. Could a mod move this please?

Just realized I posted in the wrong section. My bad. Could a mod move this please?

I got this C-Clamp from Lowes for like 10 bucks. You can take a deep socket that is about 1 size smaller than the pin, and press it all the way through, and push the pin out the other side.

IMG_0671.jpg

Edited by DallasGDub

I got this C-Clamp from Lowes for like 10 bucks. You can take a deep socket that is about 1 size smaller than the pin, and press it all the way through, and push the pin out the other side.

IMG_0671.jpg

Great idea. What are the chances of me damaging the one I've already been working on? I didn't get super rough with it, but after light tapping didn't work I did hit it harder while holding the piston in my hand. I noticed I wasn't doing much by holding it and it was actually impacting the lower end on the crank. Could I have screwed it up already?

As long as you did not hit it hard enough to bend the rod, bearing, or mess anything up, you should be ok. All depends on how hard you hit it.

I wasn't like raring back and whacking the crap out of it or anything. Certainly not hard enough to bend the rod. Just firm taps. The wrist pin was not seized, just very tight. I was holding everything in my hand trying to get the wrist pin to move. I got it to move but then my hand got tired and I stopped. I then noticed I was getting into the lower bearing a little too much for my liking.

Sounds like we did the exact same thing. Mine was stuck, I tried tapping on it, and so on. Thats when I stopped just like you did, and got on here to ask the same question and found out about the CClamp idea. .....lol.... Needless to say it was fine.

Edited by DallasGDub

Sounds like we did the exact same thing. Mine was stuck, I tried tapping on it, and so on. Thats when I stopped just like you did, and got on here to ask the same question and found out about the CClamp idea. .....lol.... Needless to say it was fine.

Cool. I was just worried because I was on the rough side of "tapping" trying to get it to move. Thanks for the help. I will try to find one of those clamps.

IMG_0671.jpg

Thats genius! Just spent the money on a tool for that, when the contraption you made looks like it works the same! thanks for the ideas!

Thats genius! Just spent the money on a tool for that, when the contraption you made looks like it works the same! thanks for the ideas!

I did not make it, I just bought it. I got word with some modding, someone else is using it for a spring compressor as well.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_187579-52800-DHCC-4_0_?productId=1053435&Ntt=c clamp&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=c clamp

Been here before....tappin it actually causes the wrist pin to pivot on an angle a little bit making bind and not want to come out. IF your doin a full top end rebuild replacing the pistons and wrist pins then you can try this....on your piston there should be a small notch to allow you to access your c-clip holding your wristpin in....if you can get the pin out just enough to get needle nose pliers in there you can slightly twist the wristpin as you pull it out. the twisting motion really helps out alot haha

Full thread bolt more than twice length of pin, washer slightly smaller than pin, pipe or socket bigger and longer than pin, washer larger than pipe/socket, nut. Assembled same order. Bolt w/small washer thru pin pipe/ socket over bolt , washer nut. As you tighten nut it will pull pin into socket. Might want to put clean rag around rod so it doesn't bang against case.