thinking about this project, what you think

ok i am thinking of doing this project of crossbreading. i am getting an 87 or 88 J arm frame, modding the front end and putting a full set of Suzuki LTR 450 A arms on it along with LTR shocks spindles ect., i want to use these because they are a little wider stock than banshee arms (i think) and it beats paying a grand for extended arms. NEXT moving to the rear, the swingarm, building a custon swinger +3 or 4 inches using the stock banshee pivot tube, custum center and using a honda 400ex/450r bearing carrier and of course Honda axle. only thing i am not sure of is that if the front suzuki hubs are the sime bolt patter as a honda. no big deal just curious on that.

Tell me what you think of this custom job, do you think it would be worth the time, main reasons for doing this is i like my stuff to be VERY different then the other guys quad, and #1 reason: I am sure as shit aint rich. i build freakin forklifts for a living.

So I want y'alls input on this is there something better i could use or something i should do different. let me know i can handle it.

Prepare to be flamed!! Persoally I think if you have the skills, time , tools, and parts cheep enough, why not. I built a drag bike with an Artic Cat 550, trying to figure a way to use yfz balljoint to fix J-arms. $20 joint beats a $200 arm. If you want to see mad fab skills , check out a blaster forum. Your results may vary.

not sure on the front, but i think there is a website where you can order everything you need to make your own swing arm fairly inexpensive. cant remember what it is, but i'm sure someone will chime in, it was mentioned in another post not too long ago. i know if i could, i would do it. if i could tig weld, i would be all over my own, one of a kind swinger.

i can weld but i am not that great at it and i dont have a welder, BUT between me and a friend of mine we can do it i think he has 2 or 3 different welders and can weld dang near anything. i will design it all on the computer and or paper and we will cut it and he will weld it. i would rather not buy a kit to do it just so i can say it is a true one off custom.

my thoughts are that if you got a sawzall, a grinder, and a welder you can do anything.

i can weld but i am not that great at it and i dont have a welder, BUT between me and a friend of mine we can do it i think he has 2 or 3 different welders and can weld dang near anything. i will design it all on the computer and or paper and we will cut it and he will weld it. i would rather not buy a kit to do it just so i can say it is a true one off custom.

my thoughts are that if you got a sawzall, a grinder, and a welder you can do anything.

Yeah but doesnt mean it will always work right.

if your not carefull and make sure all ur measurements are right your gonna have a shit load of problems. Your best bet is taking the measurements off the ltr and transfering them to the banshee . Make sure you measure, measure again then measure again before you cut. You might need to modify the stearing steam cuz youll end up with bump steer. I really want to see pics when your done.

I use to build drag chassis( drag cars) and pro touring cars, ill tell you its not as easy as you think, there is alot of math involved and testing before we would do a final build.

Its good your asking quistion then just jumping into it, shows some thought is being put into this project. I recomend you picking up a book on suspension design that will really help you out alot and give you something to go back too.

not sure on the front, but i think there is a website where you can order everything you need to make your own swing arm fairly inexpensive. cant remember what it is, but i'm sure someone will chime in, it was mentioned in another post not too long ago. i know if i could, i would do it. if i could tig weld, i would be all over my own, one of a kind swinger.

Tig weld? You're fucking joking me Tanner? If you can stick or mig a platform together like in your truck in a weekend the only reason you can't tig is because you've never tried it! Tig welding has to be the easiest I've ever done. Temp is the important thing for tig welding and it ain't the least bit hard brother! Maybe it's easy for me cause I've grown up in the food industry and we tig everything but I think it is much easier than stick welding sprinklers on the top of an irrigation system I assure you!

SP

thnks sandman for the tip, my cousin has an ltr and i can just run over there and take measurements off his and i think he has a set of a arms h doesnt need.

its not going to be a fast build because it will be bought piece by piece i am not taking parts from one to put on the other. and i have not even started buying parts yet.

and loco yeah it may be a hassle but i am only gonna have maybe $50-$100 in the frame and a arms nad if the turn out like shit i will just scrap it and go another way.

thanks for everyones input.