Plug Pics/Examples?

plugchops.jpg <<<This is plug chops ONLY!!! NOT just riding around randomly and then checking them, one on the RIGHT is what you want when doing a PROPER PLUG CHOP only people!!! On the left and the rest of them are so rich it wont even clean out or pull anywhere in the upper RPM's as the main is RICH as hell! (except the far right one is PERFECT doing the Proper Plug Chop)!

I never do chops. I do it by feel, it's the way of the future. :lol:

But for real if you want to do a chop all you need to know is to do it the proper way. http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/plugchop.html And get your 2mm smoke ring.

A good read http://www.bcchapel.org/pages/0003/pg11.htm

More so for 4 strokes but for the most part the same deal applies to 2 strokes.

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

O.K. so what's the deal with the 2mm ring? Is that where the main registers at? Would you do the same type of chop for medium throttle and idle? Y is it a 2mm ring at the bottom? Just because it hasn't made it's way up the entire porcelain?

Correct, plug chops are for reading the main jet only. BUT, you have to follow the steps to the "T" as it says or you results wont be right. Grab a few extra new plugs. Good to have some extras in the tool box anyways. 53251.gif

Just curious but what are you trying to figure out here?

I was just curious as to the theory of the 2mm ring and why you can't judge a plug you have been riding on for a while. And I was wondering how you would do a plug chop for the pilot circuit. Just visually better to see the ideal color rather than hear it if that makes sense.

I know there are always questions about jetting and i'm sure others would benefit from pics of good and bad plug readings. Thx.

ALSO: Do you let off the throttle as you kill it and come to a stop or would you keep the throttle opened up as you roll to a stop?

I was just curious as to the theory of the 2mm ring and why you can't judge a plug you have been riding on for a while. And I was wondering how you would do a plug chop for the pilot circuit. Just visually better to see the ideal color rather than hear it if that makes sense.

I know there are always questions about jetting and i'm sure others would benefit from pics of good and bad plug readings. Thx.

ALSO: Do you let off the throttle as you kill it and come to a stop or would you keep the throttle opened up as you roll to a stop?

Well on a 2 stroke, just say your putting around banging through the gears for a 1/2 hour or so, well the porcelain will be all stained from the oil mixed in the fuel then you wont really get an accurate reading off the plug really. Diff oils do diff things to plugs for what color they go, same with diff fuels also.

So to get that 2mm ring (if your main jetting is spot on) your motor would have them plugs in for a bout 5-6 seconds or less and thats IT, that was there life of fun.

To check your pilot and needle is by know how, help and feel. Theres no "plug chop for those" But in my opinion thats the easiest ones to get right on the easiest..and hell who runs there bikes at low throttle anyways. lol2.gif

You can check one you have been riding for a while because you have been on the Pilot circuit, Mid range (needle), and Top end (main jet). So you really dont know if you have a rich main, and lean pilot; or a Rich midrange, and a lean main. Both those senerio's might produce a plug that looks perfict chocolate brown.

You want to kill the engine grab the clutch, and let off the throttle all at the same time. That way you come to a stop with out the engine turning over. Dont cost for ever or you will weld the ball and rod. Hit the brakes.

josh

• 2 weeks later...

im at a 170 main and so is my buddy, we got a brown smoke ring but only about 1mm? Wtf 850 ft above sea level, do i really need to jet up?

You could try to richen up your fuel/oil mixture, it can richen everything up without jet changes so I've been told.

pchop.jpg

280 main stock pilot, t5, stock bore/stroke/port with vented box with lid on.

newmotapchop.jpg

oko 30, 155/50 t5, stock bore/stroke with hjr dune/play, uni pods

i havent done a chop since i switched back over to stock carbs with 330 mains, but its going alot better.

bike runs 50/50 avgas and 93, motul 800 @ 40:1