Case saver plastic or billet?

BigMatt

i did have a plastic one but i launch'd in thrird and the sand was a little harder than i thought and the chain snapt and it just thrashd right threw the saver and took a good chunck outa the case i talked to my builder and he told me to switch to the modquad metal one , plus it looks sweet all polished. i havent had any probs with it yet but wel see..

Oakshee or anyone else have a picture of a polished billet one installed?

I agree with Loco on that one. Plus the billet ones wiegh alot more and we all know we wanna go faster. ha

I switched from billet to plastic because I heard that the plastic ones absorb the energy....I have since switched back to billet, I broke a chain which broke the plastic saver which broke my cases. I have never had that trouble with the billet ones.

Could you elaborate a little more on this? Did you ever break a chain when you had the billet one? If so, were the shape and style the same? This is the first time I've heard of this so I'd just like to get a little more info so in the future we can recommend the correct case saver.

Two of my buddies have ran the billet ones and both of them broke there cases when their chain broke. I have broke the chain on my bike with my plastic one and have had no trouble with it hurting my cases.

I used to use the billet saver.. but.. i got to thinking about it.. and if a chain broke.. The billet savers ran a higher risk of breaking the cases at the neutral switch cover along with the top edge of the case..

This is the style I use. I like it better then the TM since I dont have to remove the sprocket to take it off, also.. its easier to shave down to fit bigger sprockets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

I got a knock off version and was only 20 shipped. So you just need to keep an eye out and you can get them much cheaper.

I'm sold on the TM Designworks stuff. I have their case saver and the complete Slide-N-Guide kit. It was a little pricey but everything is very well made and is holding up great after three years now. But....I've never thrown a chain either. :shrugani:

Edited by AssWhore

Could you elaborate a little more on this? Did you ever break a chain when you had the billet one? If so, were the shape and style the same? This is the first time I've heard of this so I'd just like to get a little more info so in the future we can recommend the correct case saver.

I have broken several chains and haven't had any trouble with the billet ones. I was running the plastic one that is the same style as the billet one when it broke my cases. I haven't tried the fancy TM saver because of the cost. I think that horsepower may be a factor as well, at some point you are going to break cases regardless. Also I have multiple billet savers that I switch out for different sprocket sizes, if you have too much space or worn rollers the chain will bind up inside the saver instead of falling out on the ground.

• 1 month later...

Some people claim the plastic is better because if you loose a chain the metal can bust the cases still. I have never seen it happen though.

If you are interested I got a used metal one for sale from my motor I am parting. 25 bucks shipped.

Actually neither one will save your cases. I've jacked cases with both plastic and billet case savers. Chain breaks, wraps around the sprocket and pushes the case save up into the case and the case cracks. They all do it. I've got pics to prove it. I'm on my work computer, but when i get home if I remember I will post pics of both types breaking the cases.

- Jared