Brake Light on Banshee?

Since you have an 89, it is a lot of work. You will have to fabricate a bracket for the switch by the rear brake pedal. If you want it to work off the front brakes also, then you would probably have to get a front master cylinder from a 2002 or newer for the front switch. Then you would have to splice into the wire harness to get power to the switches, you would splice into the yellow wire coming out of the stator and going to the headlight switch, it already has a blue wire spliced into it from the factory for the voltage regulator, and run that wire to both of the switches and then run wires from both of the switches to the brake light. Or, you could buy a 2002 or newer wire harness, stator, CDI box, headlight switch,key switch,headlight wires, brake/taillight assembly, front master cylinder, rear brake pedal, brake switches,etc. Those are the parts I know off the top of my head that are different between 1989 and 2002, the first year of the brake light. This is a lot of work for a brake light that has no business being on an off road machine, and besides that the brakelight is ugly.

Usually, but not always, they cannot make you add something to an older piece of equipment to make it comply with a newer law. This is called "being grandfathered". AS far as lights being required, it usaully only applies if you are riding after dark, and I would think that they would only require a taillight, not a brake light.

Since you have an 89, it is a lot of work. You will have to fabricate a bracket for the switch by the rear brake pedal. If you want it to work off the front brakes also, then you would probably have to get a front master cylinder from a 2002 or newer for the front switch. Then you would have to splice into the wire harness to get power to the switches, you would splice into the yellow wire coming out of the stator and going to the headlight switch, it already has a blue wire spliced into it from the factory for the voltage regulator, and run that wire to both of the switches and then run wires from both of the switches to the brake light. Or, you could buy a 2002 or newer wire harness, stator, CDI box, headlight switch,key switch,headlight wires, brake/taillight assembly, front master cylinder, rear brake pedal, brake switches,etc. Those are the parts I know off the top of my head that are different between 1989 and 2002, the first year of the brake light. This is a lot of work for a brake light that has no business being on an off road machine, and besides that the brakelight is ugly.

I had been told my shee was an 89-90 model... But according to this I shouldn't have a brake light/switch which mine does... I went and got the Vin's and ran them and it came back a 1987 model... Just curious as to why an 87 would have a brake/tail setup and an 89 model!

I had been told my shee was an 89-90 model... But according to this I shouldn't have a brake light/switch which mine does... I went and got the Vin's and ran them and it came back a 1987 model... Just curious as to why an 87 would have a brake/tail setup and an 89 model!

Sounds to me like you have an "assembled" bike. I know for a fact that Yamaha did not put a brakelight on the Banshee until 2002, but that does not mean that somebody else could have for whatever reason.

Sounds to me like you have an "assembled" bike. I know for a fact that Yamaha did not put a brakelight on the Banshee until 2002, but that does not mean that somebody else could have for whatever reason.

I stand corrected! I do NOT have a brake light, but I do have a tail light.. Assumption is a funny thing ;)

Anyways 89 Banshee Man I have a factory tail light off my 87 that i'm removing anyways if you want it id be glad to ship it to you for a few bucks! Pm me if interested!