elkas , 450's, or ohlins

bebetekbanshee358

You can get a set of Elkas from Worldwide Performance Parts

http://www.worldwideperformance1.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ELKA-007&Category_Code=

cheaper then you can buy them from Elka for because of the discount and the volume they sell. I got a set of Dual Rate Piggybacks with Preload and Compression adjustment for $770. If you want the Rebound adjustment you can add almost another $200. Or you can get the base shock with no res and only Preload adjustment for $450.

I love mine and think they were well worth the money. I may have been just as happy with the 450's but I have no regrets.

SP

True true. But you need to watch out when buying used shocks. People will tell you they are great shocks. But what really you dont see is if they are leaking at all. You have to factor in around $100 just for the tear down and around another $100 or so for parts. That is depending on if they are valved for you and the springs are for your weight. Thats why I would say if not a real hard core rider with jumping. I would just try to find some used YFZ shocks for around $200 and go from there. Then you have all 3 adj of the shock to work with and not just the preload on the cheaper set of Elkas. Im not trying to steer you away from buying Elkas, but if your not wanting to shell out the money for shocks. Then I would start small and work from there. There are many people that have the 450 shocks on their banshees and with no probs. I jump my banshee and ride the piss out of it at the dunes. The only thing I want to do with my yfz shocks are revalve them for high speed compression and make them into deal rate springs. So prob around $400 for me to do that. So If you figure that in to the price I paid. I will have about $600 and I have Compression, Rebound and Preload adj. If you try to get those adj from an after market shock dealer. You will be paying out the ass. Plus it is nice to be able to dial in the shocks for the riding I will be doing. I has taken me about a year of off and on riding to really figure out how to dial in shocks. But once you learn that side of how shocks work and what changes what. You will have one great riding quad and will be able to ride 3x longer. Also.... Look into buying a steering stabilizer. You will not have all that arm pump when hitting rocks or rough terrain.

True true. But you need to watch out when buying used shocks. People will tell you they are great shocks. But what really you dont see is if they are leaking at all.

Not sure if you were replying to my post or not but I was referring to ordering new from Worldwide Performance. If your gonna spend that kind of money on shocks I would definitely order new and have them valved for the proper weight and riding conditions.

SP

No... sorry I was talking about Peters post. Also I have had probs when buying used shocks that the shafts will get pitted from someone riding to close to someone and it will be hard for the shocks to seal on the seal head. New shafts are not cheap!!! Also for people that use the outwears on the shocks are a bad idea if your not riding in mud. They will keep in the find dust and it will act like sand paper on the seal heads.

450's suck ass if you got stock arms stick with stock shocks ive had my 450's for 5 years and it rides like a tank ive even broke 1 of them snaped the shaft in 1/2 at wot in 5th it all buckeled and about tossed me off but i still have them lol cant aford the elka's yet

You are the 1st person I have heard of breaking a shock while riding...That doesnt mean that 450 shocks are junk either. Did you hit something, maybe a hole when it broke??

You are the 1st person I have heard of breaking a shock while riding...That doesnt mean that 450 shocks are junk either. Did you hit something, maybe a hole when it broke??

just the woops in 4th and 5th a wot like on a bike skip across them bastards lol when it brok i thought i was a goner

Man I started out with 450 shocks on stock arms riding mx. It was a lot of work to put them on because of the bottom arms. But if u know how to adj shocks its not bad at all. The stock springs on the 450 shock are heavy for the stock arms. But will work if u back the preload nut off to the top and bring the compression adj out to soften it up. Also will need to slow down the rebound as well. But a great upgrade over the stock pogos