2 stroke porting

NVRBanshee

ok so a local hot rod shop just went under and i bought all there porting tools. my question is where do you learn how to do some good porting is there classes too go to or what? ive done some gasket matching on some small block chevys but no atvs. not lookn to do this for a living just for me and too learn. any info will help thanks

ok so a local hot rod shop just went under and i bought all there porting tools. my question is where do you learn how to do some good porting is there classes too go to or what? ive done some gasket matching on some small block chevys but no atvs. not lookn to do this for a living just for me and too learn. any info will help thanks

I seen some videos on e bay that teach how to port. I know it is not easy and you can do more damage than good but it would be sweet to learn. Start small and go from there would be my advice.

Use the search feature there is quite a few of these topics. In fact there one that is still being posted alot call 4mil porting, which is relating to a 4mil stroker build, but theres a lot of info in there. Basically the only way to learn is, read alot on here and theres some 2 stroke porting books to read. Talk to alot of the well known builders on here and try to pick their brains as much as theyll allow. And Practice. One of the biggest things you need to realize before you get started is.... porting is not just taking material off. It really is an art form that takes years and multiple sets of juggs to be able to do it right. You have to know the math of the engine such as the port durations and flow characteristics, know how to calculate all the math, know what different parts will effect the math, know how what material you take out or reshape will effect this math etc. Here's a link to some basic kind of starting info. MacDizzy

The McDizzys site is a really good site and has some links to some math tools that are useful. I'm in the process of learning some of the basics of porting and expansion chambers. I *might* :rolleyes: have some good readings in PDF format that would do you ALOT just send me a PM with your email and i'll shoot em your way. I'm working on a 4mil stroker, but I intend to keep essentially stock timing just scaled for a 4mil and a little freeing up here and there. But there's alot more to it than you'd think as far as the angles the tranfer ports shoot into the cylinder and stuff. Best of luck.

if the "porting" tools you bought are mostly large and for a auto you will probably hate them more than like them. the atv tools i use are very small. and it takes time and experience to figure out what you like. also it takes time th learn how to hold the tools and cylinders, lighting, math and measurements as well as other things like overall power needed, weights and lots of other things in general..

read a LOT and practice practice practice buy some junk cylinder's even dirt bike jugs or other 2 strokes kinda get a feel for how the tools will react to different speeds, alluminum, steel, pressures of your hands etc etc..

The thing with porting a 2 stroke is that when you make the ports larger you change the power delivery. You also need to know the angles of the port as they affect power delivery. With a 2 stroke your not just trying to improve air flow like on a 4 stroke cylinder head. You changing when the air and fuel come in and when the exhaust goes out. It is like the cam shaft of a 4 stroke.