Turbo Banshee

johstoncounty banshee

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look up this place, its where i bought my oil pump. i bought a 12 volt cause im not running a charging system (total loss).

http://www.greylor.com/productline_pq1224.htm

graylor pq 12 part #001-120200

its a 12v pump, if your running a charging system then they will tell you to run the 24v pump that i dont have the part number for.

from what ive seen the expansion box (air box) is so there is a diffuser between the carbs (or in this case throttle bodies) which makes for more uniform flow into the cylinders.

also, ive seen a 12mm trex that is pushing right at 18#'s of boost with stock studs/cases. the cases are now o-ringed but that only just got done cause it twisted the output shaft and the cases had to be split. it made right at 178hp and 115tq

the trans can and will break when you start getting into the higher power ranges..

ill be starting assembling my 10mm mini twister turbo soon as well, im waiting for a billet output shaft for the trans and ill be swapping to billet cases as well to keep from having any flex which can kill a trans too..

Edited by lowriderb

look up this place, its where i bought my oil pump. i bought a 12 volt cause im not running a charging system (total loss).

http://www.greylor.c...line_pq1224.htm

graylor pq 12 part #001-120200

its a 12v pump, if your running a charging system then they will tell you to run the 24v pump that i dont have the part number for.

from what ive seen the expansion box (air box) is so there is a diffuser between the carbs (or in this case throttle bodies) which makes for more uniform flow into the cylinders.

also, ive seen a 12mm trex that is pushing right at 18#'s of boost with stock studs/cases. the cases are now o-ringed but that only just got done cause it twisted the output shaft and the cases had to be split. it made right at 178hp and 115tq

the trans can and will break when you start getting into the higher power ranges..

ill be starting assembling my 10mm mini twister turbo soon as well, im waiting for a billet output shaft for the trans and ill be swapping to billet cases as well to keep from having any flex which can kill a trans too..

Thanks man i ordered it tonight,i have been looking for a while.

in my opinion i FEEL a different motor combo is better spent to turbo, snomobile 1300+cc engine for 2 strokes, or large 4 cyl street bike motor..

good luck!!

its kinda funny i have seen a lot of these get started then they just never come to be OR they explode within a few minutes of being ran.. or they just dont run at all due to a lot of variables in the smokers..

i'd sure like to see those turbo'd t rex's!

This is definitely not one of the easier motors to run a turbo on for sure. I think thats part of what makes it a good project, just make sure you cover everything you need to, as far as making sure the motor will handle the power ex. studs, pistons, bottom end etc. and make sure you take your time. If Im not mistaken there is a guy who has got multiple banshees to run turbos, or at least i think there is a builder. Maybe someone will read this and knows who im talking about.

Idk if i agree on the 1300+ cc 2-stroke. I've seen many 800cc 2 stroke sleds. Arctic Cat M8's make a great platform for this, that would be one hell of a transplant to do on a banshee. as far as 4 stroke, thats a different story. On quads i would say only do the Craptor 700's, as i dont know of many other successful turboed quads. on sleds Ive seen alot of the '07 and newer phazers done but its hard to keep those motors together, my choice would be the motor in the new Yamaha Nytro's or the '04 or newer Apex mountains.

Your not planning on running alot of boost, 5-8 psi is pretty low, so i would say you should be pretty safe with this motor as long as you cover everthing as far as durability, like i said. If it was me building a turboed banshee... I'd go billet everything, but that gets real expensive real fast. I think a set of Matoon billet cases is like $1800-2000 so if you were going billet you could easily spend $7000-10000 on the motor which i dont think your looking to do.

Good luck with this build though

in my opinion i FEEL a different motor combo is better spent to turbo, snomobile 1300+cc engine for 2 strokes, or large 4 cyl street bike motor..

good luck!!

its kinda funny i have seen a lot of these get started then they just never come to be OR they explode within a few minutes of being ran.. or they just dont run at all due to a lot of variables in the smokers..

i'd sure like to see those turbo'd t rex's!

Well where i come from we say GIT R DONE and that is in Johnston county NC. LOL

I will go that far just going toget the kinks out first.Then do the billet stuff i luv to go fast.Me and my friend will get it figured out one way or another.Its going to be a lil bit easier because we are using fuel inj,with a stand alone ecu.So with that said we will make it happen.Thanks for the help and the support and even the negative stuff that has been said.

Edited by johstoncounty banshee

the billet stuff is for reliability as far as case flex and the transmission. im still using a stock transmission as well, but ill be getting a billet output shaft and already have the billet 2nd gear.

the turbo i have is a garret gt25. the past sealed bearing turbo's (aeromotive) didnt like to run alot of boost before breaking down.

the 350cc motors turn the turbo's just fine, the bigger stroke motors i think will turn the gt25's better.

mattoon had billet cases on sale during christmas for 1600-1750. the clutch set ups was on sale as well for like 950 or so too..

Cam, there have been a lot of small turbo bikes together that run just fine. Brad Tyson and Dan Hull have done quite a few 350's that rip. Dan did a 10 mil cub that dynod 240 and ran in the .40's. Gt performance has had a lot of success running turbos. You may not see a lot of PS winners running turbos just because they are hard to keep in perfect tune every time you run it. I guess my point is, it can be done and would be a lot of fun to tinker with so why the discouraging words?

I say good luck w/the project. It would also be cool to hear some feedback on that 10 mil mini lowrider.

the billet stuff is for reliability as far as case flex and the transmission. im still using a stock transmission as well, but ill be getting a billet output shaft and already have the billet 2nd gear.

the turbo i have is a garret gt25. the past sealed bearing turbo's (aeromotive) didnt like to run alot of boost before breaking down.

the 350cc motors turn the turbo's just fine, the bigger stroke motors i think will turn the gt25's better.

mattoon had billet cases on sale during christmas for 1600-1750. the clutch set ups was on sale as well for like 950 or so too..

Thanks man i would luv to see some pics of your engine setup.The one i am useing is very close to the gt 25.After i get it going i plan on seeing how much boost it will handle.

I guess shee freak knew who i was talking about. I knew there was some builders that have had good luck with turboed banshees. So it can definately be done. If you like going fast then i would say youll definately do it with this thing.

Thanks man i would luv to see some pics of your engine setup.The one i am useing is very close to the gt 25.After i get it going i plan on seeing how much boost it will handle.

im collecting parts right now, with only the fuel pump, some silicone tubing and t clamps to get. i have a few things to cut on with my drag chassis' subframe and a few brackets on there for that. once i have it all mounted and fitted up, im going to tear the whole bike down again and powder coat the frame, paint the plastics, ect. ill have pics of it when i get to that point. i have a truck ill be finishing the frame for in the next week or two and ill have that back on my main projects list to get finished. right now im looking to get the axle, cases, clutch and stator side covers polished. when the air box is finished ill need that polished too.

im going to get the carbs powder coated and a few things chromed with the chassis too. so its basically a whole complete rebuild..lol

nitrous cub: the builders mentioned can do it, depending on where your at and which would be more conveinent for you to send your cases off to. oringing the cases though isnt really necessary till your hitting higher boost and if you look at it you want to have the back side of the cases welded (internally) to give you more sealing space/mating surface for the cases to seal.

running higher boost, ive seen the cases and seals need to be sealed in, the over flows on everything have to be ran to some part of the vac/boost system so you dont pressure up one part of the cases and not the other ect.. so keep that in mind too.