Suspension Dummy here, need some questions answered

KickStartMyHeart

Ok, so I don't know much about suspension a-arms etc.... I got a hell of a deal on a set of +2 a-arms, tie rods and brake lines. Now, I need some shocks to accomodate. I am on a budget and do not want to break the bank in buying Elka's etc... Will yfz 450 shocks work ok with +2 a-arms??? I'm just curious because I can't afford $1k for shocks right now. Or if anyone knows a cheaper brand of shock to use rather than elka's please chime in. Thanks everyone, and like I said, when it comes to suspension, I am absolutley clueless.

The 450 shocks are a great addition to +2 arms. They are fully adjustable, cheap and have aftermarket support. With that said, they are still about an inch to long, however there are ways to fix that. I'm going to send my +2 arms to Tim at Stellar to have him lower the mounting tab on the lower arms. For what he is charging to do that and the cost of a good set of 450 shocks, you come out way ahead money wise. There are still alot of people that run them and have had great luck with them.

The 450 shocks are a great addition to +2 arms. They are fully adjustable, cheap and have aftermarket support. With that said, they are still about an inch to long, however there are ways to fix that. I'm going to send my +2 arms to Tim at Stellar to have him lower the mounting tab on the lower arms. For what he is charging to do that and the cost of a good set of 450 shocks, you come out way ahead money wise. There are still alot of people that run them and have had great luck with them.

Is it absolutley necessary to have the mounting tabs moved?? WIll the quad sit funny (have an upward rake to it)? Are there any certain years that will NOT work for 450 shocks???

Unless you have a J-arm bike, they should work just fine. It won't sit high in the front, but depending on your weight, they may be a little stiff. I weigh 225lbs and had to stiffen them up. If you are around 150lbs then they might be a little stiff. You don't absolutely need to relocate the mounting tabs, however in my opinion it is very cheap and you should strongly consider it. One of the problems with the shocks being to long is that they are a pain in the ass to get them mounted. The biggest problem is that the ball joints that mount to your spindles will be the limiting factor when they are at full droop. I'm sure that can't be good on them.

Unless you have a J-arm bike, they should work just fine. It won't sit high in the front, but depending on your weight, they may be a little stiff. I weigh 225lbs and had to stiffen them up. If you are around 150lbs then they might be a little stiff. You don't absolutely need to relocate the mounting tabs, however in my opinion it is very cheap and you should strongly consider it. One of the problems with the shocks being to long is that they are a pain in the ass to get them mounted. The biggest problem is that the ball joints that mount to your spindles will be the limiting factor when they are at full droop. I'm sure that can't be good on them.

I weight 250 lbs of solid STEEL!! LOL! JK!!