I have a huge dilemna!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my banshee for 6 years now and only once did it let me down due to a water pump seal failure wich I should have known was going bad because my trans fluid kept getting a little milkey and she is a 1996. It has also only had 1 topend rebuild.I love my banshee it is as reliable as you can get.Heres to two strokes :cheers:

I had a DS650 for 3 years and after two years it was giving me alot of problems. GrantedI rode the shit out of it so did my buds on their shees. I can attest to the cost of rebulding a 4 polk. Now that I have my shee its been treating me great thats my .02

had the same problem with my 87 shee... i picked it up for 1000 bucks and ran then... but just like you i would fix one thing and then i would go ride it and it just seemed like more problems would arise. i was to the point of drvining it off a cliff r selling it to hardly break even... but i kept my cool and finished the bike and just slowly worked through all the bs and in the end i have somehting to show for it and all i gotta say is a banshee is just as realiable or even more so if you just take your time and eventually u will have one sick machine. cause i know i do :cheers:

had the same problem with my 87 shee... i picked it up for 1000 bucks and ran then... but just like you i would fix one thing and then i would go ride it and it just seemed like more problems would arise. i was to the point of drvining it off a cliff r selling it to hardly break even... but i kept my cool and finished the bike and just slowly worked through all the bs and in the end i have somehting to show for it and all i gotta say is a banshee is just as realiable or even more so if you just take your time and eventually u will have one sick machine. cause i know i do :cheers:

Original87, thats what I think I'll do. Its so close now, I would kick myself in the ass if I got rid of it. Its grown on me and its just lil shit now. I need to redo the floats bcuz they are sticking and redo the shift shaft and shiftstar and hopefully thats it.

I hate to say it, but you should have skipped the bling till it was 100% mechanical wise. It kinda sounds like you bough some one's problem child, and have been going through and fixing the problems.

I did the same thing with my 450R, and trust me, it's a metric ass load more expensive to fix a 4 stroke. I have north of 8 grand into my Honda, and I haven't touched the suspension or done any bling on it yet. That includes the money for the quad, and tons of engine parts to make 50-55 HP depending on who's dyno you want to strap it to.

To give you a idea on what it takes to built a Banshee, I bought a 96 for $1500, and I'm looking at dumping around $3500 in parts and such and I bet I'll be pulling down right around 70 HP So for slightly more than half of what I'm into the Honda, I'll have a much faster quad, and when it comes time to do the top end, it'll be far cheaper.

You normally don't bore a 450 cylinder, you toss it and buy a new one. Then you need the valves done, new springs, any worn bearings need to be replaced, the rocker arms go bad, the valves need to be replaced, guides need to be replaced, it just goes on and on. The FCR carbs on them have about a million different needles, and they all change things just so. To tune one to be at it's best, you really need to strap it on the dyno and stuff the sniffer in the pipe. If you want to make big power with a 4 stroke, you had best have deeeeeep pockets, and be ready to keep spending, they don't last long at that power level.

Not very fast? Since when?

since ever.....i have a 450 and its fun and i used to think that a banshee need it to have a 4 mil to beat my 450..........boy was i wrong my 350 will kick my 450 ass and its not even a race...but what do i know i'am just a guy that spends all his time/money trying to tune/make shit faster.....

you never know, this might be the last thing you have to fix. and wouldnt it suck if you fixed it and sold it to someone that never has a problem with it because youve busted your arse fixing it all.

poor banshees, always getting "ill buy a 4poke" threat :).

i hate fuking around man, but when its all working, its the best thing ever.

if something is broken, its not its own fault haha if that makes sense.

Edited by dirtydownunder